Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ben Kucinich <be...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/07 19:39:32 UTC

bin/start-all.sh tries to log into ssh and asks for password

I was following this article at
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GettingStartedWithHadoop word by word. I could
do everything till the section "Formatting the Namenode".

But in "Starting a Single node cluster", when I did, bin/start-all.sh, it
tries to log in to my own system using ssh and asks for password. When I
enter the password, it says JAVA_HOME not found.

How can I avoid this? One thing I could figure out is that if I supress this
password prompt by setting up ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, it can log in and
start the daemon. But is this a good solution. Any one else has faced this
problem and is there a better solution?

RE: bin/start-all.sh tries to log into ssh and asks for password

Posted by Xavier Stevens <Xa...@fox.com>.
Setting up SSH keys is the way to go.  If you are looking for a good
tutorial I recommend the one on Michael Noll's site:

http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_(Single-
Node_Cluster)

-Xavier

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
This is the preferred solution and works very well.