Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Chapman, Carol" <Ca...@mdx.com> on 2003/06/05 18:01:06 UTC

how to overwrite log4j file EVERY time you write to it?

I've just discovered this group, so my apologies if this has been posted
before. I looked through the archives but did not see this situation
previously addressed. I've ordered a manual, but it will be awhile before it
arrives.

I inherited a log4j properties file that is in xml format. One of my
appenders is described as follows:

 <!-- A time/date based rolling appender for TPF Martindale Report Messages
-->
  <appender name="TPFMartindaleReport"
class="org.jboss.logging.appender.DailyRollingFileAppender">
    <param name="File"
value="$\{cms.path\}/log/Martindale/tpfMartindale.report"/>
    <param name="Append" value="false"/>
    <param name="Threshold" value="DEBUG"/>

    <!-- Rollover at midnight each day -->
    <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>

      <!-- The full pattern: Date MS Priority [Category] (Thread:NDC)
Message\\n -->
      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5r %-5p [%c] (%t:%x)
%m%n"/>
    </layout>
  </appender>

We have an application that can run for days and uses this report to store
accumulated status information. With this particular report, every time I
log to it I would like to completely overwrite anything that might already
be in the file with the most current status. If I don't do this, I will be
repeating information. As you can see, I already have <param name="Append"
value="false"/>, but this only takes care of cases where the application is
restarted. Do you know of a way to overwrite a file EVERY TIME you log to it
without restarting your application?

Thank you for your help,
carol

Carol Chapman
Thomson Healthcare Inc.
Tel. 303-486-9199 (internal = ext. 6199)
Email: carol.chapman@mdx.com