Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Emily Jiang <em...@googlemail.com> on 2011/04/18 13:00:59 UTC

[Discussion]change bundle versions in the trunk

Dear all,

http://aries.apache.org/development/versionpolicy.html mentioned that '*At
release time the release version of the bundle must be assigned by the
release manager after reviewing the changes to the bundle's package versions
since the last release.*'. Zoe also commented that I don't need to change
the bundle version in my previous email dicussion regarding semantic version
queries. It is still unclear we enforce '*bundle version should NOT be
updated in the trunk unless it is release time'*. Can someone clarify and
then update the version policy? The reason I brought it up is that I noticed
some bundle version has been updated in the trunk and would like to make
sure everyone is on the same page.
--
Thanks
Emily

RE: [Discussion]change bundle versions in the trunk

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>.

Hi,

As far as I am aware the current standpoint is that packageinfo *must* be updated and that the component version can, but does not have to be, updated. The bundle version is then validated by the release manager as normal. The existing doc is far from explicit though.

Regards,

Tim

Posted by Emily Jiang <em...@googlemail.com>.
Thank you Zoe for clarifying this and update the web page.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM, zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 18/04/2011 12:00, Emily Jiang wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> http://aries.apache.org/development/versionpolicy.html mentioned that
>> '*At
>> release time the release version of the bundle must be assigned by the
>> release manager after reviewing the changes to the bundle's package
>> versions
>> since the last release.*'. Zoe also commented that I don't need to change
>> the bundle version in my previous email dicussion regarding semantic
>> version
>> queries. It is still unclear we enforce '*bundle version should NOT be
>> updated in the trunk unless it is release time'*. Can someone clarify and
>> then update the version policy? The reason I brought it up is that I
>> noticed
>> some bundle version has been updated in the trunk and would like to make
>> sure everyone is on the same page.
>>
> I've just updated the web pages, hopefully it is clear now.

Thanks
Emily
=================

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.
On 18/04/2011 12:00, Emily Jiang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> http://aries.apache.org/development/versionpolicy.html mentioned that '*At
> release time the release version of the bundle must be assigned by the
> release manager after reviewing the changes to the bundle's package versions
> since the last release.*'. Zoe also commented that I don't need to change
> the bundle version in my previous email dicussion regarding semantic version
> queries. It is still unclear we enforce '*bundle version should NOT be
> updated in the trunk unless it is release time'*. Can someone clarify and
> then update the version policy? The reason I brought it up is that I noticed
> some bundle version has been updated in the trunk and would like to make
> sure everyone is on the same page.
The intent of the policy was that the bundle version should *NOT* be
updated by anyone other than the release manager. If this isn't clear
enough in the documentation then it needs an update.

Zoe