Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/09 23:16:51 UTC

Java version with Hadoop 2.0

I am preparing to deploy multiple cluster / distros of Hadoop for testing /
benchmarking.

In my research I have noticed discrepancies in the version of the JDK that
various groups are using.  Example:  Hortonworks is suggesting JDK6u31, CDH
recommends either 6 or 7 providing you stick to some guidelines for each
and Apache Hadoop seems to be somewhat of a "no mans land"; a lot of people
using a lot of different versions.

Does anyone have any insight they could share about how to approach
choosing the best JDK release?  (I'm a total Java newb, so any info /
further reading you guys can provide is appreciated.)

Thanks.

sf

Re: Java version with Hadoop 2.0

Posted by "J. Ryan Earl" <os...@jryanearl.us>.
We recently switched all our productions clusters to JDK7 off the EOL JDK6.
 The one big gotcha, and this was -not- specifically a problem with the
Hadoop framework but you may have issues with your own applications or
clients is the with the Java 7 "bytecode verifier" which can be disabled
with "-XX:-UseSplitVerifier":
http://chrononsystems.com/blog/java-7-design-flaw-leads-to-huge-backward-step-for-the-jvm

-JR

Posted by "J. Ryan Earl" <os...@jryanearl.us>.