Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2007/03/01 16:19:29 UTC

Re: JAXB upgrade

I'm happy to revert the change, but I think that we ultimately need it. I
believe we're targeting JAX-WS 2.1 (we switched the API jar the other day),
and that requires JAXB 2.1. There are many benefits from a user perspective
in 2.1. For isntance it has a lot better functionality for things like WS-A
and also makes it easier for people to use substitution types, which
requires all sorts of hacks right now.

Is Geronimo just looking to release JAX-WS 2.0 support or 2.1? Any idea if
its possible to certify Geronimo with 2.1? Or does certification require 2.0?
I'm not sure what the status is of the JAX-WS 2.1 TCK either.

- Dan

(I CC'd dev@geronimo in, hope thats ok)

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
On Monday 05 March 2007 12:01, Dan Diephouse wrote:
> Well that settles that!
>
> Do you know: are they changing the spec? Or are they just pulling their
> implementation?

They are changing it slightly.   It has something to do with the "Last Call
Working Draft" of the "Web Services Addressing 1.0 - Metadata"
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-ws-addr-metadata-20070202/ having some
changes in it.   They didn't want 2.1 out there that's incompatible with
it, or something like that.

I don't think it's API changes, but it may be.   Just javadoc, docs, and
possibly spec compliance (optional vs required type changes).   Not really
sure at this point.

In anycase, I'm removing it from our builds.   Tests are running now.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Well that settles that!

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Well that settles that!

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
I'll pull the JAX-WS 2.1 stuff now.   I just received word from Sun that
they are pulling JAX-WS 2.1 anyway.  (they are respinning it to address
some issues with the WS-A stuff)    Thus, it will be removed from the
maven repository ASAP and our builds will fail.   Give my 1/2 hour or so.

Dan

On Monday 05 March 2007 11:21, Jarek Gawor wrote:
> Would it be possible for CXF folks to decide this issue soon? In
> Geronimo land we are kind of stuck right now (we have CXF disabled
> from the build because of the JAX-WS/JAXB issues) we are not making a
> lot of progress now in terms of intergration and testing.
>
> Thanks,
> Jarek
>
> On 3/2/07, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> > I'm OK with rolling back for now. However the spec itself is final and
> > the RI impl is already out:
> >
> > https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/2.1/
> >
> > Everyone else ok with it?
> > Cheers,
> > - Dan
> >
> > On 3/2/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > At this time Geronimo can only certify with JAXB 2.0 and JAXWS 2.0.
> > > We're hoping that sun will update the tck to allow supporting the
> > > 2.1 specs, but as far as we can tell this has not yet happened.
> > > Getting information out of sun about this stuff can be difficult,
> > > but perhaps if we started now and now and are sufficiently
> > > persistent we will eventually find out something useful.
> > >
> > > Are the 2.1 spec versions officially released?
> > >
> > > Meanwhile we'd certainly appreciate it at Geronimo if you went back
> > > to the 2.0 spec versions for now.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > david jencks

> > --
> > Dan Diephouse
> > Envoi Solutions

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
I'll pull the JAX-WS 2.1 stuff now.   I just received word from Sun that
they are pulling JAX-WS 2.1 anyway.  (they are respinning it to address
some issues with the WS-A stuff)    Thus, it will be removed from the
maven repository ASAP and our builds will fail.   Give my 1/2 hour or so.

Dan

On Monday 05 March 2007 11:21, Jarek Gawor wrote:
> Would it be possible for CXF folks to decide this issue soon? In
> Geronimo land we are kind of stuck right now (we have CXF disabled
> from the build because of the JAX-WS/JAXB issues) we are not making a
> lot of progress now in terms of intergration and testing.
>
> Thanks,
> Jarek
>
> On 3/2/07, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> > I'm OK with rolling back for now. However the spec itself is final and
> > the RI impl is already out:
> >
> > https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/2.1/
> >
> > Everyone else ok with it?
> > Cheers,
> > - Dan
> >
> > On 3/2/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > At this time Geronimo can only certify with JAXB 2.0 and JAXWS 2.0.
> > > We're hoping that sun will update the tck to allow supporting the
> > > 2.1 specs, but as far as we can tell this has not yet happened.
> > > Getting information out of sun about this stuff can be difficult,
> > > but perhaps if we started now and now and are sufficiently
> > > persistent we will eventually find out something useful.
> > >
> > > Are the 2.1 spec versions officially released?
> > >
> > > Meanwhile we'd certainly appreciate it at Geronimo if you went back
> > > to the 2.0 spec versions for now.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > david jencks

> > --
> > Dan Diephouse
> > Envoi Solutions

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Yes, I will try to take care of this today (granted it might not get checked
in until later today though). Cheers,
- Dan

On 3/5/07, Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible for CXF folks to decide this issue soon? In
> Geronimo land we are kind of stuck right now (we have CXF disabled
> from the build because of the JAX-WS/JAXB issues) we are not making a
> lot of progress now in terms of intergration and testing.
>
> Thanks,
> Jarek
>
> On 3/2/07, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> > I'm OK with rolling back for now. However the spec itself is final and
> the
> > RI impl is already out:
> >
> > https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/2.1/
> >
> > Everyone else ok with it?
> > Cheers,
> > - Dan
> >

> > On 3/2/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > At this time Geronimo can only certify with JAXB 2.0 and JAXWS 2.0.
> > > We're hoping that sun will update the tck to allow supporting the 2.1
> > > specs, but as far as we can tell this has not yet happened.  Getting
> > > information out of sun about this stuff can be difficult, but perhaps
> > > if we started now and now and are sufficiently persistent we will
> > > eventually find out something useful.
> > >
> > > Are the 2.1 spec versions officially released?
> > >
> > > Meanwhile we'd certainly appreciate it at Geronimo if you went back
> > > to the 2.0 spec versions for now.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > david jencks

> which

> figure
> of
> JAXB
> That's

> > --
> > Dan Diephouse
> > Envoi Solutions

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Yes, I will try to take care of this today (granted it might not get checked
in until later today though). Cheers,
- Dan

On 3/5/07, Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible for CXF folks to decide this issue soon? In
> Geronimo land we are kind of stuck right now (we have CXF disabled
> from the build because of the JAX-WS/JAXB issues) we are not making a
> lot of progress now in terms of intergration and testing.
>
> Thanks,
> Jarek
>
> On 3/2/07, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> > I'm OK with rolling back for now. However the spec itself is final and
> the
> > RI impl is already out:
> >
> > https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/2.1/
> >
> > Everyone else ok with it?
> > Cheers,
> > - Dan
> >

> > On 3/2/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > At this time Geronimo can only certify with JAXB 2.0 and JAXWS 2.0.
> > > We're hoping that sun will update the tck to allow supporting the 2.1
> > > specs, but as far as we can tell this has not yet happened.  Getting
> > > information out of sun about this stuff can be difficult, but perhaps
> > > if we started now and now and are sufficiently persistent we will
> > > eventually find out something useful.
> > >
> > > Are the 2.1 spec versions officially released?
> > >
> > > Meanwhile we'd certainly appreciate it at Geronimo if you went back
> > > to the 2.0 spec versions for now.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > david jencks

> which

> figure
> of
> JAXB
> That's

> > --
> > Dan Diephouse
> > Envoi Solutions

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.
> I'm OK with rolling back for now. However the spec itself is final
> and the
> RI impl is already out:
>
> https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/2.1/
>
> Everyone else ok with it?

In Eclipse-land we've got an IP clearance request in on 2.0, we'll
add another
one for 2.1, so we can have enabler plugins for current and future
CXF. What's
the Real Truth on JAX-WS . JAXB cross product? I'd like to be able to
produce
a rolled up integration plugin with both parts.

  regards
    --oh

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
This currently says...

      Sorry! Temporarily unavailable will be back soon...

:-(

--jason

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
This currently says...

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Yep...so for this reason I would probably ask that CXF hang on JAXB 2.0
for the time being.

Jeff

Re: JAXB upgrade

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.