Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/20 19:48:18 UTC

JAX-RS 2.0 and CXF 2.7.x

Hi

At the moment CXF 2.7.2-SNAPSHOT depends on jsr339-api-m10 - this is
quite close to the current JAX-RS 2.0 Snapshot API. ServiceMix spec
jsr339-api-m10 (v 2.2.0) is also available.

Next, jsr339-api-m13 and now jsr339-api-m15 are available in Central.

The differences between jsr339-api-m10 and jsr339-api-m15 are quite
minor at JAX-RS 2.0 API level - especially given that CXF does not
implement yet the actual JAX-RS 2.0 client fluent API (though as I've
mentioned earlier the async invoker and all 2.0 filters/interceptors are
already supported).

Users who started experimenting with AsyncResponse might see some
differences - primarily to do with resume/cancel returning boolean
instead of throwing exceptions, etc. Thought who might've started with
DynamicFeature would be impacted most - but I honestly do not think
anyone has started coding DynamicFeatures - we do not document it yet.

I've been planning to get 2.7.x implementing final 2.0 API. It is
important to note that the users migrating to 2.7.x are not expected to
see any BC issues (and it was thanks to early 2.7.x users that we fixed
some initial regressions/issues in 2.7.x).

I've upgraded locally to jsr339-api-m15 and I'm eager to commit :-)
The only 'side-effect' is that the users of next to be released CXF
2.7.2 would need to replace jsr339-api-m10 and jsr339-api-m15.

Alternatively: we can keep jsr339-api-m10 in CXF 2.7.x for its lifetime,
and get CXF 2.8.0-SNAPSHOT starting effectively with jsr339-api-m15 and
commit to having CXF 2.8.0/1 get the final JAX-RS 2.0 done

My preference is to get the 2.0 dependencies changed in 2.7.x or at
least do the upgrade to m15 and stay there with the further updates done
only in 2.8.x - however if there is some concern about it then the
alternative (mentioned or others) can also work.

Any comments ?

Thanks, Sergey

Re: JAX-RS 2.0 and CXF 2.7.x

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
On 21/12/12 12:13, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> On 20/12/12 18:48, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> At the moment CXF 2.7.2-SNAPSHOT depends on jsr339-api-m10 - this is
>> quite close to the current JAX-RS 2.0 Snapshot API. ServiceMix spec
>> jsr339-api-m10 (v 2.2.0) is also available.
>>
>> Next, jsr339-api-m13 and now jsr339-api-m15 are available in Central.
>>
>> The differences between jsr339-api-m10 and jsr339-api-m15 are quite
>> minor at JAX-RS 2.0 API level - especially given that CXF does not
>> implement yet the actual JAX-RS 2.0 client fluent API (though as I've
>> mentioned earlier the async invoker and all 2.0 filters/interceptors are
>> already supported).
>>
>> Users who started experimenting with AsyncResponse might see some
>> differences - primarily to do with resume/cancel returning boolean
>> instead of throwing exceptions, etc. Thought who might've started with
>> DynamicFeature would be impacted most - but I honestly do not think
>> anyone has started coding DynamicFeatures - we do not document it yet.
>>
>> I've been planning to get 2.7.x implementing final 2.0 API. It is
>> important to note that the users migrating to 2.7.x are not expected to
>> see any BC issues (and it was thanks to early 2.7.x users that we fixed
>> some initial regressions/issues in 2.7.x).
>>
>> I've upgraded locally to jsr339-api-m15 and I'm eager to commit :-)
>> The only 'side-effect' is that the users of next to be released CXF
>> 2.7.2 would need to replace jsr339-api-m10 and jsr339-api-m15.
>>
>> Alternatively: we can keep jsr339-api-m10 in CXF 2.7.x for its lifetime,
>> and get CXF 2.8.0-SNAPSHOT starting effectively with jsr339-api-m15 and
>> commit to having CXF 2.8.0/1 get the final JAX-RS 2.0 done
>>

>> My preference is to get the 2.0 dependencies changed in 2.7.x or at
>> least do the upgrade to m15 and stay there with the further updates done
>> only in 2.8.x - however if there is some concern about it then the
>> alternative (mentioned or others) can also work.
>>
>> Any comments ?
>
> I've already got some feedback - there's some concern from our ESB team
> it may affect the stability of the distribution which is based on 2.7.x
> - thus looks like I will postpone and just upgrade to jsr339-api-m15 in
> 2.8.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Ultimately, CXF 2.7.x is much more than the initial JAX-RS 2.0 support
> so those JAX-RS users who have already migrated can expect the 2.0 to
> 1.1 API BC stability at 2.7.x, experiment with new JAX-RS 2.0 constructs
> and expect very very minor upgrades required if using 2.0 API when
> migrating further to 2.8.x - unless they've already started using JAX-RS
> DynamicFeature (hint :-))

I've upgraded to m15 on the trunk (2.8.0-SNAPSHOT only).
As I said, those 2.7.x users which have started using JAX-RS 2.0
constructs can expect very minor if any updates when moving to CXF 2.8.0
at the later stage

Thanks, Sergey

Re: JAX-RS 2.0 and CXF 2.7.x

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.