Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de> on 2001/11/14 15:20:36 UTC

Re: Question regarding hiding email addresses in archives]

> Gerald, I emailed the MHonArc list a while back (as you can see from the
> date on the original message), but I just got this response. The
> SPAMMODE documentation is at:
>
> http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/MHonArc/doc/resources/spammode.html
>
> It seems to be some kind of setting in the config file. Is this any help
> at all?

I have putted the SPAMMODE directives in the config file, let's see what
will happen...

Gerald

Re: Result of SPAMMODE (was: Question regarding hiding email addresses in archives)

Posted by Neil Gunton <ne...@nilspace.com>.
Gerald Richter wrote:
> I have given this a try, now
>
>     richter@ecos.de
>
> becomes
>
>     richter at eocs dot de
>
> and the mail addresses aren't links anymore.
>
> look at http://www.ecos.de/~mailarc/embperl/2001-11/msg00089.html.
>
> Does it look better ?

Yeah, to me at least. Thanks! As always, I'm open to differing
opinions...

> > It's unfortunate though that it appears only *new* messages are affected
> > by these directives. Old messages still have the email address visible.
> > I guess what MHonArc does is generate text files, and once it's done
> > that it's out of MHonArc's realm of operations.
> >

> Yes, it would be necessary to write a small Perl script to change all the
> old pages

Here's a little script I just whipped up which converts email addresses
to a slightly more obfuscated version. Not exactly the same as what you
have above, but it does the job (I think, I'm not a regex guru by any
stretch)...

Thanks again, Gerald, I know you're real busy with "real" stuff...

All the best

-Neil

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

while (<STDIN>)
{
    s/\<(.*?)(?:@)(.*?)\>/<$1 (at) $2>/g;
    s/\>(.*?)(?:@)(.*?)\</>$1 (at) $2</g;
    print $_;
}

Re: Result of SPAMMODE (was: Question regarding hiding email addresses in archives)

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by Neil Gunton <ne...@nilspace.com>.
Gerald Richter wrote:

> > I have putted the SPAMMODE directives in the config file, let's see what
> > will happen...
> >

> Look at http://www.ecos.de/~mailarc/embperl/2001-11/msg00076.html. I am not
> sure if this is a good or bad idea.
>
> What does other people on the list think ?

Hi Gerald,

First of all, thanks for looking at this stuff, I know you're really
busy. I think that a more aesthetic solution may be in the use of the
ADDRESSMODIFYCODE directive. This seems to allow something other than
simply replacing the host part of the email address with 'x':

http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/MHonArc/doc/resources/addressmodifycode.html

There's an example there for replacing the host with the word 'hidden'.

It's unfortunate though that it appears only *new* messages are affected
by these directives. Old messages still have the email address visible.
I guess what MHonArc does is generate text files, and once it's done
that it's out of MHonArc's realm of operations.

Anyway, thanks again!

-Neil

Re: Result of SPAMMODE (was: Question regarding hiding email addresses in archives)

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.