Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Steve Miller <st...@idrathernotsay.com> on 2014/11/17 18:52:27 UTC

Long-delayed followup on weird topic corruption issue

   Several months ago, I'd posted a lot of stuff here about an issue I was seeing, where the data segments for some topics were getting corrupted, for no obvious reason.

   We tried a bunch of stuff and got a bunch of advice, none of which helped, other than to cause there to be more documentation for the kafka decoder in wireshark/tshark. :-)

   We'd gotten to a point where the next step was going to be to upgrade all the things, as we'd walked well into the "I don't know, just try *something*" part of the debugging effort.  We were using Java 6 at the time.

   We upgraded everything to use 1.7.0_55-fcs, and that made the problem go away: we haven't seen it in months.

   I don't really like this because I like to know why things break for the inevitable time when they break again, but hey, it did at least work, and it let me make progress again.

   Anyway, nothing earth-shattering, but I did figure that I should post some sort of resolution, especially since there some discussion recently of Java 6 EOL...

   Thanks for the help, and sorry it kinda wasted everyone's time (hey, myself included, if that makes anyone feel better :-) ).

	-Steve