Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2001/03/28 08:31:39 UTC

mod_perl 2.0 documentation converters

Hey, gang

I was wondering whether we want to have a base for converting mod_perl
core pods into other formats (ps,pdf,html,xml?), just like we have for the
guide.

http://perl.apache.org/~sbekman/doc.tgz is a drop-in replacement for ./pod
directory in mod_perl-2.0 cvs tree.

Assuming that you have Pod::HtmlPsPdf installed, just run ./doc/bin/build
-df and you will get the linked html documentation in ./doc/rel_html/, the
ps and the pdf versions in ./doc/rel_ps/mod_perl_2.0.ps,
./doc/rel_ps/mod_perl_2.0.pdf respectively. If you use -s tag you can get
the split version (like we have for the guide now), which makes the search
of the documentation much more user friendly.

The total overhead of extra files is about 20k gzipped (because of
hyphen.tex mainly (17k), which I should install with Pod::HtmlPsPdf)

As for Pod::HtmlPsPdf, it should undergo a major rewrite to use the
streaming tools from podlators package, which will make it much more
flexible and allow us to incorporate new pod syntax which is getting
cooked up at pod-people@perl.org (see the archives from
http://archive.develooper.com/pod-people@perl.org/ for more info).
If you have some free time on your hands you are welcome to step in and
help me with the rewrite.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://eXtropia.com/

Re: mod_perl 2.0 documentation converters

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> i like the idea, the pdf output i've seen from your modules is really
> slick!  before moving forward, i think we should consider creating a
> modperl-2.0-docs repository, similar to what httpd does, splitting up its
> docs and code.  the mod_perl-2.0 dist can include the docs (or subset of),
> but a seperate repository makes it easier to maintain:
>
> - different release schedules (example: docs might be released more often
> than code)
>
> - different groups of people working on docs and code
>
> and if it turns out to be a bad idea, we can always merge the docs
> repository with the code and kill the -docs repository

+1

> the only requirements i personally have for the new system are:
>
> - we can still write docs in plain old pod :)
>
> - .pod's are installed so pod2man, perldoc and friends still work for
>   mod_perl docs as expected

which means, standard pod, which is how it works. My package provides some
other extended syntax, which I've developed for the book, but nobody has
to use it. Pod::HtmlPsPdf handles the plain pod just fine.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/

Re: mod_perl 2.0 documentation converters