Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1995/12/11 16:56:19 UTC

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "SEVERE: Looping server-include. " on AIX (fwd)

>> > This is a severe bug! I changed back to a
>> > older version.
>>
>> Well, he shouldn't refer to his file as /links.html/ then!
>>
>> This is a known feature.
>
> Feature???  are you kidding me?
>
> Lycos have a habit of accidentally adding "/"s and dropping "/"s to
> the ends of URLs. People misquote URLs, mistype them. If it fails it's
> one thing, but to send a server into meltdown isn't my idea of a
> feature. It needs fixing, and fixing soon. If the submitter is right,
> this is a huge bug, not a feature to be avoided.

David is being sarcastic, of course.  We both warned the group about
this problem last month and were told NOT to fix it because someone
somewhere may be using this feature.  Yes it is a bug, yes it needs to be
fixed, and yes it should have been fixed the first time we mentioned it.

.....Roy