Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2008/07/09 19:27:29 UTC

Community Help with Maven ITs

Hi,

I'm asking a small handful of developers to run a pre-configured
Hudson instance to collect results for the Maven ITs. All I need is
your machine. I will hand off a self-contained Hudson instance that
you just start up and run. It will also report back to a master server
but I would like to collect results from as many supported platforms
and a couple for each platform if possible. We've never tried this but
if you're interested please contact me privately and I will set you up
with a Hudson install. I just want to try this to see if casting the
net wide will help us find more problems.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: eclipse plugin and shared output directories

Posted by Kamil Demecki <sk...@gmail.com>.
> The default settings for eclipse:eclipse and eclipse:m2eclipse set the
> outputs
> to the same. Does this actually work for people? Maybe locking on windows
> actually make a positive impact finally?

Yes, it works well. We have maven projects for 3 years (maven 1.x and maven
2) with developing with eclipse and there was no problem with shared target
directory (windows Xp and Linuks)

--
Kamil Demecki

Re: eclipse plugin and shared output directories

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Igor Fedorenko wrote:

> We've discussed this subject on m2e dev list a lot recently

Just to give the pointer:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/M2ECLIPSE/Separate+Eclipse+and+Maven+output+folders

Benjamin

Re: eclipse plugin and shared output directories

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.
We've discussed this subject on m2e dev list a lot recently and I
believe the conclusion is that both collocated and separate output
folders cause problems for some projects and development "styles", for
the lack of a better word.

For example, I mostly work with maven core and various maven plugin
projects. These projects make heavy use of code and resource generation
and I could not make them work with separate output folders reliably.
But everything works almost perfectly with m2e using maven output folders.

On the other hand, however, I hear people are having troubles with
collocated output folders when they switch between m2e and cli often.
Like you describe, either eclipse gets confused by out-of-workspace
changes or maven cli picks up stale/broken files produced by eclipse and
neither eclipse nor maven cli would give any meaningful explanation of
the problems.

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
A long time back i discovered that if you have the same target output for
eclipse and maven you end up with broken shit all over the place, intemittent
errors. All really unpleasant.

The default settings for eclipse:eclipse and eclipse:m2eclipse set the outputs
to the same. Does this actually work for people? Maybe locking on windows
actually make a positive impact finally?

Thoughts anyone?

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer
mailto:gholam@apache.org

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
John,

The four folks I've gotten feedback from have the have
3380ManagedRelocatedTransdepsTest failing and you made the most recent
changes. Could you take a look?

On 12-Jul-08, at 9:40 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> [...]
>
> --------------------
> Tests in error:
> testitMNG3380
> (org
> .apache
> .maven.integrationtests.MavenITmng3380ManagedRelocatedTransdepsTest)
>
>  testit0088(org.apache.maven.integrationtests.MavenIT0088Test)

> --------------------
>

> Below is the Surefire report for it0088:

> Test set: org.apache.maven.it0088.PomInterpolationTest
> Tests run: 2, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
> 0.047 sec <<< FAILURE!
> testProjectBuildDirectoryAfterResourceFiltering
> (org.apache.maven.it0088.PomInterpolationTest)  Time elapsed: 0 sec
> <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<...\...> but
> was:<.../...>
> 	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:81)
> 	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:87)
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .maven
> .it0088
> .PomInterpolationTest
> .testProjectBuildDirectoryAfterResourceFiltering
> (PomInterpolationTest.java:33)
>
> testProjectBuildDirectoryForMojoExecution
> (org.apache.maven.it0088.PomInterpolationTest)  Time elapsed: 0 sec
> <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<...\...> but
> was:<.../...>
> 	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:81)
> 	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:87)
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .maven
> .it0088
> .PomInterpolationTest
> .testProjectBuildDirectoryForMojoExecution(PomInterpolationTest.java:
> 49)
>

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> The result that Brian and I get is the following. Just incase
>> anyone wants to run them. Brian diddled the scripts so it would run
>> on Windows, and I ran on OS X. If there's any problems with the
>> bundle people find. I'll fix them this weekend.
>> Results :
>> Tests in error:
>>
>> testitMNG3380
>> (org
>> .apache
>> .maven
>> .integrationtests.MavenITmng3380ManagedRelocatedTransdepsTest)
>> Tests run: 166, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0
>> On 11-Jul-08, at 10:29 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> To many people wanted to try this out so this is the first cut of
>>> the Hudson bundle:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/hudson.zip
>>>
>>> It's fairly crude, and Windows users are SOL until Monday (Unless
>>> you have Cygwin). I just wrote some bash scripts to prototype it,
>>> but I've start rewriting it in Java using Velocity for the Hudson

>>> 2. ./start.sh
>>> 3. Go to the console and trigger the bootstrap build
>>>
>>> The bootstrap build will trigger a build of the IT support code,
>>> and then the ITs themselves. Brian and I have tested this and we
>>> get the same results. As this gets more sophisticated I think
>>> we'll have a great community feedback mechanism. Thinking about
>>> the best way to collect the results that isn't annoying. But if
>>> folks are fine with a simple REST call back, or simply mailing a
>>> results page somewhere that would be awesome. If people actually
>>> do have machines externally accessible we can setup a little
>>> Hudson grid. You shouldn't need anything on your machines to run
>>> this. I added checks for testing prereqs so if you don't have SVN
>>> on your machine (which is required for some of the tests) it won't
>>> bork your build.
>>>
>>> Anyway, first step. All seems to work and now I'm focusing on it
>>> running faster. Aiming for bootstrap -> ITs in under 10 minutes.

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>>
>>> We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our
>>> worth.
>>>
>>> -- Unknown

>> Thanks,
>> Jason
>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com
>> What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good
>> people can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.
>> -- Paul Graham
>

> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I'll start looking at this when I swap out Maven SCM to do everything
for us.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> I replaced all the scripting with Velocity templating

ExodusCli.java:70
   w = new FileWriter(job);

Using
   w = WriterFactory.newXmlWriter(job);
from plexus-utils instead would ensure proper output encoding for the
config.xml and improve platform independence of the bundle.

Benjamin

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
You and Brian can fight it out over the windows stuff.

On 18-Jul-08, at 12:12 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> Ok, I have a new portable bundle.
>
> Maybe you find this Windows batch file a useful addition:

> @echo off
>
> set "dir=%~dp0"
> if "%dir:~-1%" == "\" set "dir=%dir:~0,-1%"
>
> set "HUDSON_HOME=%dir%\runtime"
>
> if not exist "%HUDSON_HOME%" (
>  java -jar "%dir%\haven-1.0.jar" -d "%HUDSON_HOME%"
> )
>
> java -jar "%dir%\hudson.war" "--webroot=%HUDSON_HOME%\war"
>
> Proposed name: hudson.bat or anything else but start.bat. The later
> would cause confusion because just executing "start" as usual will
> invoke start.exe instead.
>
>> I replaced all the scripting with Velocity templating
>
> Are create.sh and the templates directory still needed or garbage?

Not needed anymore, and haven will check to see if the jobs are
created, so you don't need any logic in the script.

> Benjamin

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> I replaced all the scripting with Velocity templating for all the jobs that are created.

Another suggestion: In ExodusCli.java:45 replace
   hudsonHome = System.getProperty("user.dir");
with
   hudsonHome = new File(System.getProperty("user.dir"),
"runtime").getPath();

This would bring the output directory in sync with the one configured in
start.sh when haven.jar is invoked independently from its base directory
(i.e. by a Windows user double-clicking it).

Benjamin

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 18-Jul-08, at 3:05 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> You've got the wrong bundle it appears. The new one:
>> -rw-r--r--  1 jvanzyl  jvanzyl   2441718 17 Jul 14:19 haven-1.0.jar
>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 jvanzyl  jvanzyl  19810714 17 Jul 13:55 hudson.war
>> -rw-r--r--  1 jvanzyl  jvanzyl       119 17 Jul 15:37 start.bat
>> -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 jvanzyl  jvanzyl       142 17 Jul 14:13 start.sh
>
> Looks better but is that the one from
>  http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/hudson.zip
> ? Can you re-check?
>

> Also, please consider to rename start.bat. The collision with
> start.exe is prone to confusion.

Sure, that's not a problem. Eventually it will just be "java -jar
X.jar".

Script renamed and bundled published and I'm uploading a new bundle now.

> Benjamin

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> There's a new bundle up there now.

OK, now I get:
                440 create.sh
          2.441.718 haven-1.0.jar
                119 hudson.bat
                142 hudson.sh
         19.810.714 hudson.war
                142 start.sh
     <DIR>          templates

Also, the config.xml created for the ITs and their support stuff still
contains <hudson.tasks.Shell> so I doubt that's the bundle Brian tested
on Windows. Maybe your archiver messed up the new bundle with some old
contents?

Furthermore, the included hudson.bat is badly coded and will misbehave
for paths containing spaces or shell metacharacters. I propose to add
some quotes:

@echo off
set "HUDSON_HOME=%CD%\runtime"
java -jar haven-1.0.jar -d "%HUDSON_HOME%"
java -jar hudson.war "--webroot=%HUDSON_HOME%\war"

Benjamin

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

On 18-Jul-08, at 3:02 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> [...]
>>>   </hudson.tasks.Shell>
>>> </builders>
>>>
>>> which again is no batch file and causes the build to fail on
>>> Windows without cygwin on the PATH since "sh" is not a standard
>>> Windows executable (see error above).
>>>
>>> So my best guess is, that we are talking about two different
>>> bundles?
>>>
>>> Regarding the purpose of the batch files I posted: The ones you
>>> quoted are merely two lines, effectively the same as the current
>>> shell scripts.  The only difference is that I preferred to use "-
>>> f" to specify the POMs instead of changing the current directory.
>>> I mailed about that previously with Jason.
>>>
>>> The one I posted before (hudson.bat), yes you're right, that's
>>> overly complex. The second "if" testing for the existence of
>>> %HUDSON_HOME% can be removed since that is handled by haven.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

  -- Thoreau

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Regarding the purpose of the batch files I posted: The ones you quoted
>> are merely two lines, effectively the same as the current shell
>> scripts.  The only difference is that I preferred to use "-f" to
>> specify the POMs instead of changing the current directory. I mailed
>> about that previously with Jason.
>>
>> The one I posted before (hudson.bat), yes you're right, that's overly
>> complex. The second "if" testing for the existence of %HUDSON_HOME%
>> can be removed since that is handled by haven.
>>

>> Benjamin

> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com
>
> happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
> elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> [...]
>> executable (see error above).
>>
>> So my best guess is, that we are talking about two different bundles?
>>
>> Regarding the purpose of the batch files I posted: The ones you quoted
>> are merely two lines, effectively the same as the current shell
>> scripts.  The only difference is that I preferred to use "-f" to
>> specify the POMs instead of changing the current directory. I mailed
>> about that previously with Jason.
>>
>> The one I posted before (hudson.bat), yes you're right, that's overly
>> complex. The second "if" testing for the existence of %HUDSON_HOME%
>> can be removed since that is handled by haven.
>>

>> Benjamin

> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com
>
> believe nothing, no matter where you read it,

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
What dependency on cygwin? I fired it up on a naked windows vm without
cygwin. That batch script seems overly complicated, what's it doing that
the other .bat isn't?

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Ok, I have a new portable bundle. I replaced all the scripting with
Velocity templating for all the jobs that are created. Brian tested it
on Windows and it all seems to be working fine.

http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/hudson.zip

I'm next getting Hudson to pull the POMs directly to create jobs, and
I'm making a few sets of jobs so that people can choose:
- Maven 2.1 ITs
- Maven 2.0 ITs
- Plugins
- Maven 2.1 Platform (everything used to develop Maven)

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
I've ran it  Jul 12, 2008 11:26:10

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
When did you run this?

On 12-Jul-08, at 8:39 PM, Siarhei Dudzin wrote:

> Good idea,  because I got something different:
>
>     [java] Failed tests:
>     [java]
> testRunningScmPlugin
> (org.apache.maven.embedder.execution.EmbedderUsingScmPluginTest)
>

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Cool, I'm trying to figure out how to collate all the incoming
>> reports
>> easily as even with 20 people doing this the noise will be
>> overwhelming.
>> Just for the record I think this is a huge step toward creating a
>> sustainable system.
>>

> Siarhei

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
Good idea,  because I got something different:

     [java] Failed tests:
     [java]   testRunningScmPlugin(org.apache.maven.embedder.execution.EmbedderUsingScmPluginTest)

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> Cool, I'm trying to figure out how to collate all the incoming reports
> easily as even with 20 people doing this the noise will be overwhelming.
> Just for the record I think this is a huge step toward creating a
> sustainable system.

Siarhei

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

On 12-Jul-08, at 9:42 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> [...]
>>> The result that Brian and I get is the following. Just incase
>>> anyone wants to run them. Brian diddled the scripts so it would
>>> run on Windows, and I ran on OS X. If there's any problems with
>>> the bundle people find. I'll fix them this weekend.
>>> Results :
>>>
>>> Tests in error:
>>>
>>> testitMNG3380
>>> (org
>>> .apache
>>> .maven.integrationtests.MavenITmng3380ManagedRelocatedTransdepsTest)
>>>
>>> Tests run: 166, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>>
>>> What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good
>>> people can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Awesome, thanks Dennis.

You get the same failure Brian and I get for the first.

The second has been intermittently problematic in the past.

This is a great start, once we can start collecting these across tens
of machines we can start nailing down the nastiest of problems.

I would guess now that your probably the 5th person to ever have run
that whole gamut. Hudson makes this so easy.

> [...]

>>> on your machine (which is required for some of the tests) it won't
>>> bork your build.
>>>
>>> Anyway, first step. All seems to work and now I'm focusing on it
>>> running faster. Aiming for bootstrap -> ITs in under 10 minutes.

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>>
>>> We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our
>>> worth.
>>>
>>> -- Unknown

>> Thanks,
>> Jason
>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com
>> What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good
>> people can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

  -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Results :
>
> Tests in error:
>
> testitMNG3380(org.apache.maven.integrationtests.MavenITmng3380ManagedRelocatedTransdepsTest)

Confirmed on Xubuntu 8.04 with Sun JDK 1.6.0_06

Benjamin

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Ok, I'll start tracking people and their email address and make a
small mailing list to keep track.

Posted by Jamie Whitehouse <ba...@genesyslab.com>.
On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 13:47 -0400, Jamie Whitehouse wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 13:27 -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> > if you're interested please contact me privately and I will set you up
> > with a Hudson install.

Err, sorry everyone...seems that I missed that reply-to is set to the
list not the original poster.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files attached may contain confidential and proprietary information of Alcatel-Lucent and/or its affiliated entities. Access by the intended recipient only is authorized. Any liability arising from any party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information contained in this e-mail is hereby excluded. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy the original transmission and its attachments and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments belongs to Alcatel-Lucent and/or its affiliated entities.

Re: Community Help with Maven ITs

Posted by Jamie Whitehouse <ba...@genesyslab.com>.

Posted by Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

I´m running a Ubuntu Hardy instalation with a dual core 6700 4gig ram.
How long were you thinking of making the test?
If you pass me the pre configured hudson instance (via ftp or other means) I
can let it run on my pc.

Regards,
 Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren