Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Purcell, Scott" <sp...@vertisinc.com> on 2002/02/04 15:37:52 UTC

Speed of downloading problem.

Hello,

I have Apache/mod_perl installed on a NT box, and I am allowing customers to
do downloads of High-Resolution assets. My problem is the speed of downloads
is about 1/3 slower than the same box running IIS. IT dept, has confirmed
that the network is not the issue, and we have ran tests for the past week.
The conclusion we have drawn is for some reason, when we point to a static
HTML file on the docroot of the Apache running mod-perl server that it takes
2/3 times longer to download a file than on IIS.

The test is taking a 50mb file and placing it in the doc root of the IIS and
Apache/htdocs. Then just having a href link pointing to it. We have ruled
out the firewall and any networking.

Does anyone have any clues what to try? One thought here was to go to 2.0,
but we don't know if that will screw up the mod-perl that is built for the
Apache 1.3.20 and Ron Savages mod_perl binary.

Any info would certainly be appreciated.

Scott Purcell

Re: Speed of downloading problem.

Posted by "Andreas J. Koenig" <an...@anima.de>.

  > The test is taking a 50mb file and placing it in the doc root of the IIS and
  > Apache/htdocs. Then just having a href link pointing to it. We have ruled
  > out the firewall and any networking.

I know nothing about NT, but I'd play with the SendBufferSize config
variable.

--
andreas

Re: Speed of downloading problem.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
> I have Apache/mod_perl installed on a NT box, and I am allowing customers
> do downloads of High-Resolution assets. My problem is the speed of
downloads
> is about 1/3 slower than the same box running IIS.

Can you post your httpd.conf?  Or at least the parts of it about threads and
processes?

It is possible that Apache is just not that fast on NT.  NT support is
experimental in the 1.3 series.

> One thought here was to go to 2.0

You can't run mod_perl 1.x on Apache 2.0.

Another thing you could try is having multiple servers.  One could handle
static requests and proxy the dynamic ones to mod_perl.  I don't know if IIS
knows how to do this or not, but there's probably something available for NT
that does it.

- Perrin

Re: Speed of downloading problem.

Posted by Ron Savage <ro...@savage.net.au>.
Scott

See below.

Cheers
Ron Savage
ron@savage.net.au
http://savage.net.au/index.html

> Does anyone have any clues what to try? One thought here was to go to 2.0,
> but we don't know if that will screw up the mod-perl that is built for the
> Apache 1.3.20 and Ron Savages mod_perl binary.

I'm clueless of course :-).

But just for the record, I helped document this pre-built binary, but Randy Kobes deserves the credit.

Start here: http://savage.net.au/Perl.html#Configuring-Apache