Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Aust, Christian" <Ch...@pecaso.com> on 2006/03/21 21:33:46 UTC

Redeploying war file kills context xml

Hi,

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.15 on Windows 2003 w/ SUN JDK 1.5. Inside a virtual host, I've configured a context to define some JNDI datasources. Therefore I've written a context XML file in CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/host/myapp.xml

The app is deployed using a war file HOST_BASE/myapp.war and expanded to HOST_BASE/myapp automatically. It all works pretty well until I redeploy the war file:

Uploading the war takes a little while. While I'm still uploading, tomcat starts to redeploy the unfinished war file and _deletes_ the myapp.xml file as well. When the upload is finished, the war file is complete, the directory HOST_BASE/myapp/ is incomplete and the context XML file CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/host/myapp.xml is gone.

I've searched the docs, googled the web, tried everything... nothing. How do I need to configure this context so that my custom myapp.xml file stays in place during a redeploy? Is there a chance to redeploy even over a slow link without tomcat trying to expand an unfinished archive?

Kinnd regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Christian Aust
Development mySAP Human Resources

Re: Redeploying war file kills context xml

Posted by Kevin Klinemeier <zi...@gmail.com>.
Would including the myapp.xml in your META-INF/ be an option?  I read here
that that should work:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/deployer-howto.html#A%20word%20on%20Contexts

-Kevin