Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1995/05/06 15:51:06 UTC

Re: Problem with httpd on hyperreal

> some worries,
>
> Will it break if index.html (the only match) gets cached, but 5
> minutes later, index.cgi is added.

It won't break -- just serve up the wrong document.  Caching is not
brain surgery; it doesn't matter if a few bits get handled wrong,
provided that the normal condition is handled correctly.

> Will a cache flush "index" if it subsequently sees a index.* with
> Pragma: no-cache  ?  (i'd hope so)

No -- how is the cache supposed to know that the two different URLs
represent the same resource?

> -=-=
> Are there any spare headers we can send at the moment that caches use to
> determine variations, e.g.
>
> index  ->   index.html   or index.cgi            with header
>
> Version: html
> or
> Version: cgi

Version is already in use.  All resources that are intended to vary
based on the client request profile are supposed to include at least
one URI header in the response which indicates the dimensions of the
variance, i.e.:

     URI: foo; vary="language,type"

Note that there is no vary value for internal server handlers -- that
wouldn't make any sense to the cache, nor would it care.

......Roy
      594 down, 1099 to go