Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Yu Qian <ji...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/06 15:35:19 UTC

Fwd: DNS to mirror failed when running sa-update

Hey, there:

    i tried to run sa-update to refresh rules, but the update channel(
mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org) is not found.

      Is there anyone can help me with this problem

       A screenshot for the error is attached

Thanks a lot!
---
Yu Qian
Ottawa Ontario
Phone: (514)-553-0198

Re: DNS to mirror failed when running sa-update

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 15:48:03 +0200
Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 06.04.2016 um 15:35 schrieb Yu Qian:
> > i tried to run sa-update to refresh rules, but the update
> > channel(mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org
> > <http://mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org/>) is not found.
> >
> >        Is there anyone can help me with this problem
> >
> >         A screenshot for the error is attached
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
>
> the domains DNS is obviously broken for anything related to the
> "updates" subdomain
>

> [harry@rh:~]$ nslookup mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org

Wrong type of query

$ dig +short  mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org txt
"http://spamassassin.apache.org/updates/MIRRORED.BY"

Re: DNS to mirror failed when running sa-update

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 11:02:28 +0200
Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 07.04.2016 um 10:48 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> >> [harry@rh:~]$ nslookup mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org
> >> b.auth-ns.sonic.net.
> >> Server:         b.auth-ns.sonic.net.
> >> Address:        184.173.92.18#53
> >>
> >> *** Can't find mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org: No answer
> >
> > Please, get rid of nslookup. One of its main problems is that it
> > produces invalid output in many cases, this is one of them.
> >
> > "dig any mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org. @b.auth-ns.sonic.net."
> > produces OK output
>
> mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org. 3600 IN TXT
> "http://spamassassin.apache.org/updates/MIRRORED.BY
>
> well, that's somehow crazy, normally one makes dns round-robin for a
> hostname and then load that file from one of the mirrors because all
> the mirrors don't help much when "spamassassin.apache.org" is down

spamassassin.apache.org has 2 ip addresses on 2 continents and
MIRRORED.BY can be cached by sa-update for 7 days. Having the file on
the actual mirrors would place unnecessary restrictions on how these
third-party http servers are configured.

There does however appear to be a minor problem here.

The http headers for MIRRORED.BY have a last-modified date,
but no explicit expiry information. The relevant RFC allows an http
proxy to cache the file for up to 365 days before a get-if-modified
request is needed. Most caches set a lower limit, and if curl is used,
it requests the proxy go to the origin server, but there is scope for
getting a very stale file.

Re: DNS to mirror failed when running sa-update

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>Am 06.04.2016 um 15:35 schrieb Yu Qian:
>>i tried to run sa-update to refresh rules, but the update
>>channel(mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org
>><http://mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org/>) is not found.
>>
>>       Is there anyone can help me with this problem
>>
>>        A screenshot for the error is attached

Yu Quian, please, use copy&paste, not screenshots of textual output!

does this problem persist? which version of Net::DNS do you have?

On 06.04.16 15:48, Reindl Harald wrote:
>the domains DNS is obviously broken for anything related to the
>"updates" subdomain
[deleted]
>[harry@rh:~]$ nslookup mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org b.auth-ns.sonic.net.
>Server:         b.auth-ns.sonic.net.
>Address:        184.173.92.18#53
>
>*** Can't find mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org: No answer

Please, get rid of nslookup. One of its main problems is that it produces
invalid output in many cases, this is one of them.

"dig any mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org. @b.auth-ns.sonic.net."
produces OK output.

(R)etry, (A)bort, (C)ancer

Re: DNS to mirror failed when running sa-update

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 06.04.2016 um 15:35 schrieb Yu Qian:
> i tried to run sa-update to refresh rules, but the update
> channel(mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org
> <http://mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org/>) is not found.
>
>        Is there anyone can help me with this problem
>
>         A screenshot for the error is attached
>
> Thanks a lot!

the domains DNS is obviously broken for anything related to the
"updates" subdomain

;; ANSWER SECTION:
spamassassin.org.       3600    IN      NS      b.auth-ns.sonic.net.
spamassassin.org.       3600    IN      NS      c.auth-ns.sonic.net.
spamassassin.org.       3600    IN      NS      ns.hyperreal.org.
spamassassin.org.       3600    IN      NS      a.auth-ns.sonic.net.

;; Query time: 96 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.0.6#53(10.0.0.6)
;; WHEN: Mi Apr 06 15:44:25 CEST 2016
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 137

[harry@rh:~]$ nslookup mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org b.auth-ns.sonic.net.
Server:         b.auth-ns.sonic.net.
Address:        184.173.92.18#53

*** Can't find mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org: No answer

[harry@rh:~]$ nslookup mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org c.auth-ns.sonic.net.
Server:         c.auth-ns.sonic.net.

Address:        69.9.186.104#53

*** Can't find mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org: No answer

[harry@rh:~]$ nslookup mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org ns.hyperreal.org.
Server:         ns.hyperreal.org.

Address:        209.237.226.92#53

*** Can't find mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org: No answer

[harry@rh:~]$ nslookup mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org a.auth-ns.sonic.net.
Server:         a.auth-ns.sonic.net.
Address:        184.23.168.53#53

*** Can't find mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org: No answer

[harry@rh:~]$ dig mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org @a.auth-ns.sonic.net.
; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-RedHat-9.10.3-12.P4.fc23 <<>>
mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org @a.auth-ns.sonic.net.
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1680
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org. IN   A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
spamassassin.org.       3600    IN      SOA     ns.hyperreal.org.
pmc.spamassassin.apache.org. 2016040600 86400 3600 2678400 3600

;; Query time: 171 msec
;; SERVER: 184.23.168.53#53(184.23.168.53)
;; WHEN: Mi Apr 06 15:45:05 CEST 2016
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 134