Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Dawid Weiss <Da...@cs.put.poznan.pl> on 2002/02/18 14:21:19 UTC

Re[4]: Metadata (was: Planning the future)

KS> Yeah, sorry I just realized Krzysztof posted a description of that very
KS> thing right before I sent that mail. Heh, heh, see what I get for being
KS> too busy writing and not reading. So Kudos to you guys for not only coming
KS> up with it, but also implementing it.

That's  all right, it was just funny to see you came out with the same idea
:)  We  actually spent some time investigating various concepts and the one
we  chose  seemed  to  have least drawbacks: the database remains "clean" -
xpath,  document  retrieval  etc - these are all transparent, which was out
goal.

Nonetheless,  I  would  love  to  see  a  standard  API  for versioning and
metadata, and it seems many other people seem to crave for it, not only me.
It  may  be quite easy to walk around the problem, but since the project is
open  source, it should perhaps be taken into account what the actual users
need,  not  only  what  is the 'ideal path', which Xindice should follow ;)
Just my remark, nothing personal.

Dawid

Re[6]: Metadata (was: Planning the future)

Posted by Dawid Weiss <Da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
KS> Are you still planning to contribute this code? It sounds like it would be
KS> a really good starting place.

I  think it would be no problem. We have JUST finished the prototype though
and  JUnit  shows it works ok. My good guess would be to hold on a month or
two  -  we'll  gain  experience  on  the  interface, its pros and cons, and
contribute  a  more  reliable, stable version. Another side of this coin is
that   we   have  it  implemented  in a very structural-like approach, i.e.
there  has  been no class-responsibility analysis etc. The reason for it is
that we intentionally wanted the interface to be so simple.

We  may change it in the future - time will tell.

KS> That's what we're trying to figure out. I don't actually use Xindice for
KS> anything, so I rely on the real users to tell us what we need.

I'm glad to hear it.
Dawid

Re: Re[4]: Metadata (was: Planning the future)

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org>.
On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 06:21 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:

> KS> Yeah, sorry I just realized Krzysztof posted a description of that
> very
> KS> thing right before I sent that mail. Heh, heh, see what I get for
> being
> KS> too busy writing and not reading. So Kudos to you guys for not only
> coming
> KS> up with it, but also implementing it.
>
> That's  all right, it was just funny to see you came out with the same
> idea
> :)  We  actually spent some time investigating various concepts and the
> one
> we  chose  seemed  to  have least drawbacks: the database remains "clean"
>  -
> xpath,  document  retrieval  etc - these are all transparent, which was
> out
> goal.

Are you still planning to contribute this code? It sounds like it would be
a really good starting place.

> Nonetheless,  I  would  love  to  see  a  standard  API  for versioning
> and
> metadata, and it seems many other people seem to crave for it, not only
> me.
> It  may  be quite easy to walk around the problem, but since the project
> is
> open  source, it should perhaps be taken into account what the actual
> users
> need,  not  only  what  is the 'ideal path', which Xindice should follow
> ;)
> Just my remark, nothing personal.

That's what we're trying to figure out. I don't actually use Xindice for
anything, so I rely on the real users to tell us what we need. Now, I'm
definitely hearing that metadata is an important issue, even more then I
already thought. This is what I need to hear, and I'm listening.

> Dawid

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/