Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daniel Zen <da...@zendigital.com> on 2001/05/29 17:55:38 UTC

Virtual Host Context Aliasing

I would think this would be a common question, but I couldn't find it
documented, nor asked on this list.

Very often domains are served from 2 urls (www.zzz.net & zzz.net) with the
same functionality. When I configure my virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf
this is easy:

<VirtualHost _default_:80>
 ServerName www.zzz.net
 ServerAlias zzz.net
 DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/zzz
 <Directory "/home/httpd/html/zzz/WEB-INF">
  Options None
  Deny from all
 </Directory>
 JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
 JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
</VirtualHost>

The following properly placed in server.xml creates 2 seperate contexts for
the same set of servlets and JSPs. Functional, but a little wasteful.

  <Host name="www.zzz.net" >
       <Context path="" docBase="/home/httpd/html/zzz"
        crossContext="true" debug="0" reloadable="true" trusted="false" />
  </Host>

  <Host name="zzz.net" >
       <Context path="" docBase="/home/httpd/html/zzz"
        crossContext="true" debug="0" reloadable="true" trusted="false" />
  </Host>

Now, I how do I do an alias Context in Tomcat's server.xml so that there is
only one Host/Context with multiple names??????

Thank you in advance.

Daniel Zen

Re: Virtual Host Context Aliasing

Posted by Christian Parpart <cp...@surakware.net>.
On Friday 01 June 2001 02:40, you wrote:
> I have been told from a collegue of mine that an alias tag can be used.
> I have not tested this though, let me know if this works :)
>

>      <Host name="www.mycompany.com" ...>
>        <Alias name="mycompany.com"/>
>      </Host>

I've tested it without any success. Unfortunately.
But exactly that's it what has been said in the tomcat-server-howto.
Is it a bug? It must be....

Thanks,
Christian Parpart
http://www.surakware.net

Posted by Marcus Dillury <ma...@socialchange.net.au>.
tomcat 4, I think :)

I have just tested it with version 3.2.2, and that gives the error:

bash# cat tomcat.log | grep Alias
At The element type "Alias" must be terminated by the matching end-tag
"</Alias>".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The element type "Alias" must be terminated
by the matching end-tag "</Alias>".
At The element type "Alias" must be terminated by the matching end-tag
"</Alias>".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The element type "Alias" must be terminated
by the matching end-tag "</Alias>".

I have not been able to find any doco related to this though :(

Thanks,
--Marcus

--
Marcus Dillury
UNIX Systems Administrator	core competency: /dev/null

Re: Virtual Host Context Aliasing

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.

Posted by Marcus Dillury <ma...@socialchange.net.au>.