Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org> on 2015/06/22 12:41:04 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)

Hello!

The Apache Ignite  PPMC has voted to release Apache Ignite 1.2.0-incubating.
The vote was based on the release candidate and thread described below.
We now request the IPMC to vote on this release.

Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2) has been accepted with 7 votes for (2
binding votes):

   - Branko (binding)
   - Konstantin Boudnik (binding)
   - Gianfranco
   - Sergi
   - Alexey Goncharuk
   - Valentin
   - Semyon

We have uploaded release candidate to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ignite/1.2.0-rc2/

Tag name is
ignite-1.2.0-incubating-rc2

1.2.0 changes:
Added client mode to TCP discovery SPI.
Added memory based evictions.
Added integration with Apache Spark.
Added integration with Apache Mesos.
Added serializable cache store factories for built-in stores.
And many more changes which are described in devnotes (link below).

DEVNOTES
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ignite.git;a=blob_plain;f=DEVNOTES.txt;hb=refs/tags/ignite-1.2.0-incubating-rc2

RELEASENOTES
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ignite.git;a=blob_plain;f=RELEASE_NOTES.txt;hb=refs/tags/ignite-1.2.0-incubating-rc2

Please start voting.

+1 - to accept Apache Ignite (incubating) 1.2.0
0 - don't care either way
-1 - DO NOT accept Apache Ignite (incubating) 1.2.0 (explain why)

Here is the PPMC vote thread -
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/VOTE-Apache-Ignite-1-2-0-release-RC2-td1074.html

This vote will go for 72 hours.

--Yakov

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Changing my vote to +0 (binding).

Justin

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 24.06.2015 08:34, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> in
>>> Perhaps it would be best to make it clearer that they are used for test
>>> data or better still generate them. Can the files be generated from source?

>>> fix
>>>  [1]/[2] The release policy (3.6) is quite clear on this. However if other
>>> IPMC members vote +1 I’ll consider changing my vote.
>>>
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> We already have 2 +1 votes from IPMC members:
>>
>> - Branko Čibej (binding)
>> - Konstantin Boudnik (binding)
>
> FWIW, I agree it would be better to generate these files from source if
> possible; however, I don't think it's a showstopper for this release.

I agree with the above statement and would like to unblock this
particular poddling release with:

+1 (binding)

However, I also agree with Justin's point as well and before this poddling
can consider graduation I'd like to see an honest attempt at figuring
out how to generate these files from source if possible.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 24.06.2015 08:34, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Moreover, modules under extdata are test only and are not used anywhere
>> in
>>> the project. They are used to test code deployment functionality.
>> Perhaps it would be best to make it clearer that they are used for test
>> data or better still generate them. Can the files be generated from source?
>>
>>> Would it be OK for us to proceed with this 1.2.0-incubating release and
>> fix
>>> the issues mentioned in the next release shortly after?
>>  [1]/[2] The release policy (3.6) is quite clear on this. However if other
>> IPMC members vote +1 I’ll consider changing my vote.
>>
> Hi Justin,
>
> We already have 2 +1 votes from IPMC members:
>
> - Branko Čibej (binding)
> - Konstantin Boudnik (binding)

FWIW, I agree it would be better to generate these files from source if
possible; however, I don't think it's a showstopper for this release.

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> I think the real problem is that many projects actually have different
> binaries in their release which are needed for the project
> (not only test data), and looking at our TLP projects nobody complains.

In general most binary files are not an issue but jars, wars or other compiled files (dll, exes etc etc) are.  So when [1] say no binaries, what it mean to say is no unexpected binaries. The text makes it a bit clearer. I’ve certainly reviewed many incubator and TLP releases that included binary files and normally it’s not an issue.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 23 June 2015 at 21:17, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 23.06.2015 21:14, Branko Čibej wrote:
> > The fact that a file is binary, no matter what it's used for, can't be
> > reason for holding back a release.
>
> Let me amend that: "as long as it doesn't affect the functionality of
> the product in any way".

Your amendment makes it very difficult to release a number of projects.
Take AOO as an example, we use icons in the menuline,
and of course they are stored a binaries.

I think the real problem is that many projects actually have different
binaries in their release which are needed for the project
(not only test data), and looking at our TLP projects nobody complains.

Maybe we should try to find another definition here.

rgds
jan i.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> There's nothing wrong with having binary files in a source release, and
> some just can't be generated.

There’s no issue with .png, .gif, or .jog or the like that’s true, but in this case the files in question are the equivalent of a war file i.e. compiled code.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 23.06.2015 17:26, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Moreover, modules under extdata are test only and are not used anywhere in
>> the project. They are used to test code deployment functionality.
> Perhaps it would be best to make it clearer that they are used for test data or better still generate them. Can the files be generated from source?

There's nothing wrong with having binary files in a source release, and
some just can't be generated. A trivial example: a bitmap image file.
The fact that a file is binary, no matter what it's used for, can't be
reason for holding back a release.

Subversion, for example, has whole repository snapshots in its test
suite. I've never heard any complaints.

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.
Justin,

You are right on binaries, however these 4 binaries are test only.
Moreover, modules under extdata are test only and are not used anywhere in
the project. They are used to test code deployment functionality.

I agree that they should not be included in the source release, but the
previous release also did have them.

Would it be OK for us to proceed with this 1.2.0-incubating release and fix
the issues mentioned in the next release shortly after?

Thanks!

--Yakov