Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by sa...@benwylie.co.uk on 2006/06/23 19:52:06 UTC

Various plugins for Windows version?

I am running SpamAssassin on a Windows 2003 Server.
It is version 3.1.2.

Is there any way to know which plugins work on the Windows version?

The Windows setup instructions at
http://www.openhandhome.com/howtosa310.html
seems to say that DCC and Razor don't work and that Pyzor is difficult to set up.

So firstly, is this info up to date?
Are these plugins still not viable on a Windows installation?
If it is possible, does anyone have some instructions on getting them to work?

There are some other plugins that i would also like to implement (for example iXhash and OCR Plugin or OCR scanner and image validator SA-plugin), but i don't know whether they work on windows installations. How can i find out if these are meant to function on windows?

How can you tell if a plugin doesn't work? Will it give you an error message?

I have tried installing ixhash and i get the following info in my log:
[2996] dbg: config: read file F:\Perl\site/etc/mail/spamassassin/ixhash.cf
[2996] dbg: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::iXhash from @INC
[2996] dbg: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::iXhash=HASH(0x2d0c258)
[2996] dbg: plugin: registering glue method for ixhashtest (Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::iXhash=HASH(0x2d0c258))
[2996] dbg: IXHASH: IxHash querying Server ix.dnsbl.manitu.net
[2996] dbg: IXHASH: IxHash querying Server nospam.login-solutions.ag
[2996] dbg: IXHASH: IxHash querying Server nospam.login-solutions.de

I get no other references to ixhash, so does this mean i am not getting any hits or that the plugin does not function.

Thanks
Ben

Re: Various plugins for Windows version?

Posted by sa...@benwylie.co.uk, sa...@benwylie.co.uk.
> as the author of the iXhash plugin I'd say - yes, it works.
> But actually I've not a clue if it does. Never tried and propably never
> will.
>
> However, the plugin essentially only uses Digest::MD5 and Net::DNS. I
> guess that if Net::DNS works OK on Windows, my plugin propably works as
> well.
> One caveat: When developing the plugin I had some problems due to
> differences in line breaks. iXhash works on the body of a mail, so line
> breaks do make a difference.
> Let me know if you get any results. No hits propably mean the plugin
> basically works but computes the wrong hashes. Shouldn' be to hard to
> work around that

Thanks Dirk,

After having the plugin running for a little while now, i still have never got
any results. I guess it could be the line break issue, but i can't really tell.

How might we be able to test if this is the problem and do a work around?

Posted by Dirk Bonengel <di...@bonengel.de>.
Ben,

as the author of the iXhash plugin I'd say - yes, it works.
But actually I've not a clue if it does. Never tried and propably never
will.

However, the plugin essentially only uses Digest::MD5 and Net::DNS. I
guess that if Net::DNS works OK on Windows, my plugin propably works as
well.
One caveat: When developing the plugin I had some problems due to
differences in line breaks. iXhash works on the body of a mail, so line
breaks do make a difference.
Let me know if you get any results. No hits propably mean the plugin
basically works but computes the wrong hashes. Shouldn' be to hard to
work around that

Dirk

Re: RE: RE: Various plugins for Windows version?

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
For all my comments earlier, SA with Razor, Pyzor & DCC work well,;
far better since the SA rig was moved to nix. I use CentOS & FC3/4
here. The net results are most agreeable. I hit maybe 1 - 5 FP/FN a
week - which is pretty good on the local setup.

All things considered I'm most happy.

I've just run in 2K3 servers on the MS action pack so the Win32
mailserver will move over to that soon.

After initial runs with SA et al under Cyg and it's proportional
system wastage I moved to nix - the net results are enough to allow be
to quaff a beer on a Friday night. if you can - move SA etc. onto the
nix boxen, they handle it soooo much better

Nigel

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:28:53 -0700, "Bret Miller"

Re[3]: Various plugins for Windows version?

Posted by Sanford Whiteman <sw...@cypressintegrated.com>.
> win can lock the file on occasion and cause SA to fail.

By  which  I think you mean that *your Windows-based MTA* can lock the
file and cause SA to fail.

A properly-written MTA-SA hook, or MTA-name_your_external_hook, has no
such  problems  on  Windows.  We  process millions of messages through
Windows   MTAs   with  standalone  SA.pl  shells,  SPAMC  shells,  and
integrated  SPAMD calls and don't have any such locking issues. Issues
like  yours  likely  depend  on  whether  your calling MTA attempts to
maintain   existing   file  handles  while  shelling  to  an  external
application,  and  also  may  be  linked  to  how the MTA waits on the
external  app  and  obtains  its results (WFSO + exit code lookup/exit
code   lookup   after   fixed   timeout/notify   on   "sentinel"  file
creation/reopen the message file after a fixed delay/other IPC). There
are  numerous  Win32  API approaches to perform these same tasks; some
are safe, some are unsafe.

In  addition  to  stress-testing  your  choice of MTA for poor locking
code, ensure that real-time AV and other external hooks are also taken
out  of  the  picture  (including,  as you have already mentioned, the
Indexing Service).

--Sandy

RE: RE: Various plugins for Windows version?

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
Hi,

We use a Win32 mail server that passes mail over to a nix SA box; one
thing that's been noted is that win can lock the file on occasion and
cause SA to fail. It seems windows file locks have much to answer for.
One possible culprit is the index server; this may or may not apply to
you. Disabling said on my Win mail has eased the problem somewhat, tho
not eliminated it.

HTH

All the best

Nigel

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> There are some other plugins that i would also like to
> implement (for example iXhash and OCR Plugin or OCR scanner
> and image validator SA-plugin), but i don't know whether they
> work on windows installations. How can i find out if these
> are meant to function on windows?

FWIW the ocr plugin calls a whole bunch of unix programs to do the actual
OCR work.  I suppose it is possible that these programs might compile on
native Windows.  But I have some doubts that anyone has actually done it and
built the makefile.  So my suspicion is that this plugin won't work without
a lot of setup work on your part.

        Loren

RE: Various plugins for Windows version?

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.