Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Gao Jun <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2004/11/19 08:25:05 UTC

using CLOB for properties table's property_value column

Hi,

Has anybody tried to using Oracle's CLOB for properties table's property_value column,
instead of the original VARCHAR2(255)? We are trying to do this right now. Although
it can pass the basic test cases, we are still not sure whether this is a reliable solution.
Could anyone share your experience with us? Thanks.

regards,

Jun

RE: using CLOB for properties table's property_value column

Posted by Nick Longinow <ni...@vanhooseassociates.com>.
I'm using the CLOB datatype and have had no problems.

Nick

Posted by Roman Novak <r....@iqsoft.at>.

Posted by Luke Noel-Storr <lu...@dsl.pipex.com>.

Posted by Roman Novak <r....@iqsoft.at>.
Hi Jun,

- The db-schema scripts don't define an index on that column.
- Possibly a change from varchar2(255) to varchar2(4000) will be sufficient for you
  (see latest changes also here -> http://www.mail-archive.com/slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg12926.html)
- Versioning and other things (possibly many users assigned to a role) create large entries in the column property_value  of the table PROPERTIES (another URL: http://www.mail-archive.com/slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg11754.html)

If i remember right there were discussions about storing group-sets values in a more "relational" manner. So i am using the varchar2(4000) setting atm and not CLOB.  The mentioned (theoretical) indexing issues was the only thing that came to mind immediately. I didn't make thorough tests running with a CLOB, so i can share experiences there.

I am curious myself, if using a CLOB for that column would be the final solution for this issue.

Roman

Posted by Gao Jun <ga...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Roman,

Thanks for your answer. I'd like to know is index on this column necessary?
If I don't need to worry search for now, is there any other known issues related to
the difference of Oracle's varchar2 and CLOB type?

regards,

Jun

Roman Novak <r....@iqsoft.at> wrote:
Hi,

I thought about that too somewhen. Indexing the CLOB will be an issue. Formally you need the "Context Option", which basically will mean that it will be a "Domain Index" suitable for fulltext search.

If you try to index that type of column you get an ORA-02327 (cannot create index ...).

The workaround was to alter the table and extend the column to varchar2(4000) (this apparently didn't find the way into beta 2. I remember a hotfix a while ago).

Good luck

Am Fr 19.11.2004 08:25, Gao Jun schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Has anybody tried to using Oracle's CLOB for properties table's property_value column,
> instead of the original VARCHAR2(255)? We are trying to do this right now. Although
> it can pass the basic test cases, we are still not sure whether this is a reliable solution.
> Could anyone share your experience with us? Thanks.
>
> regards,
>
> Jun

 The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!

Re: using CLOB for properties table's property_value column

Posted by Roman Novak <r....@iqsoft.at>.
Hi,