Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by David Anderson <da...@apache.org> on 2022/03/08 08:25:18 UTC

status of Apple Silicon (M1) as Flink dev platform?

What's the current status of using the Apple Silicon (M1) platform for
Flink development? Have we reached the point where everything "just works",
or do there remain lingering annoyances (or worse)?

In the past, I've seen reports of issues involving, e.g., RocksDB, nodejs,
protobuf, and pyflink. Looking in Jira, I see these issues haven't been
resolved yet, but I'm not sure what to read into that:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-24932 (Frocksdb cannot run on
Apple M1)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-25188 (Cannot install PyFlink
on MacOS with M1 chip)

Best,
David

Re: status of Apple Silicon (M1) as Flink dev platform?

Posted by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Thanks for bringing up this question.

Regarding PyFlink, the dependent Python libraries have already supported M1
recently and so I guess we could also make it in the next release, e.g.
Flink 1.16. I will follow up with it.

Regards,
Dian