Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Schmitt <sc...@konstantin.uni-trier.de> on 2003/06/27 17:08:57 UTC

"svn status -u -v" - Erroneous output?

Hello,

please have a look at the following command output. AFAICS, the output of
"svn status -u -v" is wrong as the last committer is not "schmitt" but
"ziegel".

  schmitt@host:~/Project> svn status -u -v SubDir/1.php
  SubDir/1.php
         *      779      779    schmitt   SubDir/1.php
  Head revision:    838
  schmitt@host:~/Project> svn log SubDir/1.php |head
  rev 813:  ziegel | 2003-06-20 13:55:21 +0200 (Fri, 20 Jun 2003) | 2 lines

  foo

BTW: It would be nice if the name of the person is also listed without
option "-v". I think it doesn't take too much additional space but
provides very useful information (if you have multiple working copies and
you want to see whether the last commit has been made by you or another
person) (IMHO "svn status -v" is a bit too verbose for every day use as it
lists all files of the project)

Kind regards,

Michael

Re: "svn status -u -v" - Erroneous output?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 01:34:37AM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> > "svn status -u -v" is wrong as the last committer is not "schmitt" but
> > "ziegel".
> >
> >   schmitt@host:~/Project> svn status -u -v SubDir/1.php
> >   SubDir/1.php
> >          *      779      779    schmitt   SubDir/1.php
> >   Head revision:    838
> This is something that has long confused users.  I really wonder if we
> should change the behavior.  It would be almost effortless; when we
> run 'svn st -u', we're doing a real update under-the-hood; all of the
> live props ("entry" props) from the server are coming down to us
> already.  We just need to make use of them.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

I don't think so. That would alter the meaning of the other columns which
are displaying information about what is in the WC. The only thing from the
server that we display is the '*'. I'd rather not see us start to inflitrate
the other columns...

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: "svn status -u -v" - Erroneous output?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Michael Schmitt <sc...@konstantin.uni-trier.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> please have a look at the following command output. AFAICS, the output of
> "svn status -u -v" is wrong as the last committer is not "schmitt" but
> "ziegel".
>
>   schmitt@host:~/Project> svn status -u -v SubDir/1.php
>   SubDir/1.php
>          *      779      779    schmitt   SubDir/1.php
>   Head revision:    838
>   schmitt@host:~/Project> svn log SubDir/1.php |head
>   rev 813:  ziegel | 2003-06-20 13:55:21 +0200 (Fri, 20 Jun 2003) | 2 lines

This is not a bug, it's doing exactly what we intend.

However, I do admit it's not what most users expect.

In our docs, we say that the the '-u' flag makes 'svn status' contact
the server and add "out-of-date" information to the normal local
status information.  In practice, this means we only add asterisk
characters to local information.  But most people *expect* that we
would really, truly display the last-changed-rev and last-author from
the server as well.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Michael Schmitt <sc...@konstantin.uni-trier.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> please have a look at the following command output. AFAICS, the output of
> "svn status -u -v" is wrong as the last committer is not "schmitt" but
> "ziegel".
>
>   schmitt@host:~/Project> svn status -u -v SubDir/1.php
>   SubDir/1.php
>          *      779      779    schmitt   SubDir/1.php
>   Head revision:    838
>   schmitt@host:~/Project> svn log SubDir/1.php |head
>   rev 813:  ziegel | 2003-06-20 13:55:21 +0200 (Fri, 20 Jun 2003) | 2 lines
>
>   foo

Nope, this is correct behavior.  'svn st -v' (with or without the -u)
only displays the last commit author as of the revision of the file
sitting in the working copy.  If you run 'svn update -r 813' on your
working copy, and then 'svn st -v', you should see "ziegel" as the
author.

If you are interested in seeing who the last author of a file was as
of HEAD in the repository, consider using 'svn ls -v' instead, which
always looks at the repository instead of the working copy.