Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2011/04/11 04:00:56 UTC

basic maven based project skeleton in place

Dear Rave gang,

As you might have noticed, I've just committed a (very) basic maven project
skeleton.
It doesn't do much yet, but it already builds a customized (well: hardly)
rave-shindig war and a minimal SpringMVC based portal war which can be deployed
together on Tomcat (6.0.23 tested).

Please read the instructions to do so as I've provided in a README.txt in the trunk.

Tricky bit (for those unaccustomed to Maven) is that you'll *first* have to
check out the rave-master-pom/trunk project and build/install that in your local
maven repository.
This is a separate "master" pom, which has its own trunk and tags as it
shouldn't need the same release life-cycle as the main project itself.
Things that go into such a separate master pom concern mostly global project
info, like developers info, JIRA key, distribution management (not defined yet),
etc.

To "ease" the pain of dealing with this, I've already requested access to
repository.apache.org (Nexus) so that we can deploy our SNAPSHOT builds to the
Apache snapshot repositories, see:

I will also setup continuous integration via build.apache.org shortly this week.
I already have an account there so setting up build jobs for Rave will be
trivial to do.

Once the Nexus access for Rave is granted we then can automatically have
successful builds be deployed to the snapshot repositories and then manual
building/installing the rave-master-pom will no longer be needed as it will then
automatically be found/resolved by Maven remotely (unless you actually need to
make changes to the rave-master-pom of course).

Final remark: we have deadline this Wednesday for the (monthly) Rave Incubator
report, see: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/April2011
If nobody beats me to it, I can make a first start with that later today/tomorrow.

Regards,

Ate

p.s. Almost forgot: I choose coding conventions of my own preference for this
initial code commit, but we need to get an agreement which conventions we're
going to use for the project...

Re: basic maven based project skeleton in place

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 11 Apr 2011, at 13:29, Ate Douma wrote:

> On 04/11/2011 02:05 PM, Scott Wilson wrote:
>>
>> On 11 Apr 2011, at 03:00, Ate Douma wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Rave gang,
>>>
>>> As you might have noticed, I've just committed a (very) basic maven project skeleton.
>>> It doesn't do much yet, but it already builds a customized (well: hardly) rave-shindig war and a minimal SpringMVC based portal war which can be deployed together on Tomcat (6.0.23 tested).
>>>
>>> Please read the instructions to do so as I've provided in a README.txt in the trunk.
>>>
>>> Tricky bit (for those unaccustomed to Maven) is that you'll *first* have to check out the rave-master-pom/trunk project and build/install that in your local maven repository.
>>> This is a separate "master" pom, which has its own trunk and tags as it shouldn't need the same release life-cycle as the main project itself.
>>> Things that go into such a separate master pom concern mostly global project info, like developers info, JIRA key, distribution management (not defined yet), etc.
>>
>> OK, I've tried to set this up but run into problems. I've used m2eclipse and got hold of master (builds OK), then project and portal (complains about missing shindig war, otherwise OK). However, whenever I try and import rave-shindig it seems to get stuck on "12% complete".
> What do you mean with "import shindig war"?
>
> Did you also try to build from the console using $mvn install (this should resolve and download the shindig war for you)?
>
> With m2eclipse you can configure it to automatically resolve (download) missing dependencies if you have set Eclipse Preferences/Maven/Offline to false (unchecked), which should be the default.
> I always set that preference to true (checked) as this one specific feature of m2eclipse is often a performance drain (Update Maven projects on startup being the other).
> If you use the latest m2eclipse version (0.12.1.20110112-1712) I have only two its main preferences checked: "Offline" and "Hide folders of physically nested modules (experimental)".
>
> To solve the missing dependencies problem within m2eclipse, you can just build (at least once) from the command line before opening/importing the projects in Eclipse, or use M2/Maven context menu on the project node and select "Update Dependencies" afterwards.

Thanks - I managed to solve it by running the commands directly in terminal then going back into eclipse. I think all that happened was that for some reason "install" didn't really install... or I clicked the wrong run target. In any case, it all builds now!

(I can't actually run it yet but am ploughing on...)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 11 Apr 2011, at 16:08, Sander van der Waal wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11 Apr 2011, at 03:00, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
>>
>>> As you might have noticed, I've just committed a (very) basic maven
>> project skeleton.
>>
>> Thanks Ate. I already learned something useful about Maven (I've had an
>> open issue for over a year to create a master POM setup for another
>> project)..
>>

> +1, this is a very neat and clean set-up.
>
> It got me up-and-running in no-time, although running in debug-mode from
> Eclipse is
> not yet working, but that may be related to the way cargo spins off
> Tomcat..
> For now it's perfectly find running from the command-line.

Likewise I have it running fine from the command line now - "Hello Rave!"

Posted by Sander van der Waal <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> On 04/11/2011 05:37 PM, Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> On 04/11/2011 05:08 PM, Sander van der Waal wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>

>>> It got me up-and-running in no-time, although running in debug-mode from
>>> Eclipse is
>>> not yet working, but that may be related to the way cargo spins off
>>> Tomcat..
>>>
>> Ah, yes. There are a few system properties you can/must set on the cargo
>> plugin
>> to enable that. We use that ourselves at Hippo too (as well as JRebel...),
>> just forgot to add that. Will fix that in a sec.
>>
> Done, just update and by default cargo will now attach to a remote
> debugging session on port 8000.
> See additional properties on the rave-portal/pom.xml how to customize this
> further through command line parameters (e.g. suspend, different address
> etc.)

Thanks Ate, works like a charm! ;)

Sander

Re: basic maven based project skeleton in place

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Sander van der Waal <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.