Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joona Hoikkala <jo...@eff.org> on 2019/04/03 11:11:32 UTC

Request for addition to document: SSL/TLS Strong Encryption: How-To

Hi everyone,

Due to the option SSLSessionTickets for mod_ssl being enabled per
default, and most of the operating systems never doing restarts in
default installation, I would like to see an addition to the
documentation where secure configuration is being discussed.

There is a notification about this in mod_ssl documentation [1], but due
to the option being enabled per default, most of the users will probably
never visit the docs there.

So the documentation addition in SSL/TLS Strong Encryption: How-To [2]
could instruct users to either turn off the SSLSessionTickets or to
configure scheduled restarts, options out of which disabling the setting
would be preferred.

There is a research paper [3] discussing different configuration
options, defaults and their effect to the Perfect Forward Secrecy, and
due to these observations I'd also like to additionally have a
discussion about changing the default setting for mod_ssl
SSLSessionTickets altogether.

[1] : https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslsessiontickets
[2] : https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/ssl/ssl_howto.html
[3] : https://jhalderm.com/pub/papers/forward-secrecy-imc16.pdf

--
Thanks for considering these options,
Joona Hoikkala

Re: Request for addition to document: SSL/TLS Strong Encryption: How-To

Posted by Joona Hoikkala <jo...@eff.org>.
I'm new to the list, so if this is not the correct place to make such
suggestions, could someone direct me to the right one? I feel that this
would be pretty important change.