Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by GCS <gc...@agentsinside.com> on 2001/03/22 18:47:51 UTC

Jakarta+Cocoon too many processes?

Hello all,

 I have Jakarta and Cocoon on my machine. I realized that I have too many
processes running as
gcs      16889  0.1  6.7 244860 12784 pts/10 S    18:38   0:00 /usr/local/encap/jdk1.3.0_01/bin/i386/native_threads/java -Dtomcat.home=/usr/local/jakarta org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat

On an other server, which has only Jakarta, there is only one process running
this. Is it a configuration mistake on my side, or what happening here?
If you have similar setup, please send me the number of processes in private.

Thank you very much!
Laszlo

Re: Jakarta+Cocoon too many processes?

Posted by Anjul Srivastava <an...@anjul.com>.
The numerous "processes" are actually multiple threads in the JVM that are
visible on Linux as if they were individual processes. Don't worry about
them. They aren't eating up resources (even though it may seem like it).
This is because the threads share memory, file descriptors, etc.

Linux has this oddity that threads show up as individual processes. But
everything is okay.

Before you conclude that Linux is weird, see:
http://www.accessone.com/~jql/clone.html -- the first link within it is to
Torvalds email. This page and Torvalds email eloquently show Linux's
justification as why it is more elegant to treat threads the way Linux does.

Anjul.

Re: XSP and

Posted by Tagunov Anthony <at...@nnt.ru>.
Sorry, Jay, XSP->XSLT->XSP is impossible and undesirable.
There was some discussion on this on the list already.
Doing it like that would mean running the XSP compiler
per every request and you wouldn't want this.

I beleive that you could achive whatever you want by
logicsheets (more easily as they get applied in document
order)
and/or
taglibs.

It is in the logicsheets (tablibs) that you should for
xsp tags and _then_ they will be _compiled_ by
the XSP compiler into a compiled xsp page
that would get executed for each request
directed to your .xml file

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:08:02 -0800 (PST), Jay Wright wrote:

>I'm running into some problems using XSP in my xsl.
>
>I'm running cocoon 1.8.2 and tomcat (no apache).
>
>I've got a file, input.xml which has xsp in it and the
>following cocoon processes:
><?cocoon-process type="xsp"?>
><?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
><?xml-stylesheet href="forms.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
>
><xsp:page
>  xmlns:xsp="http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Core"
>  xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2">
>
>  <page>
>     ---more xml elements---
>  </page>
></xsp:page>
>
>It seems to be fine.  After it's xsp processing, it is
>suppose to be translated by forms.xsl.  forms.xsl
>imports a main.xsl as displayed in this snippet from
>forms.xsl:
><xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>xmlns:xsp="http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Core"
>>

><xsl:import href="../main.xsl"/>
>
>  --template matches (some with xsp logic tags)---
>
>The main.xsl is where the template match on "page" is
>done and is set up as follows:
><?xml version='1.0'?>
>
><xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>xmlns:xsp="http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Core"
>>

><xsl:template match="page">
><xsl:processing-instruction
>name="cocoon-process">type="xsp"</xsl:processing-instruction>
>
><xsp:page language="java"
>xmlns:xsp="http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Core">
>          blah blah blah
>          <xsl: APPLY TEMPLATES FROM FORMS.XSL WITH
>XSP IN THEM/>
></xsp:page>
></xsl:template>
>
></xsl:stylesheet>
>
>My question is how to properly set up the forms.xsl
>and main.xsl such that the xsp within it (which is
>mostly in forms.xsp) is processed properly before
>applying the resulting stylesheet to the
>post-xsp-processed input.xml?
>
>Thanks,
>-Jay

>http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Best regards,
   Tagunov Anthony

XSP and

Posted by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com>.
Hi

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, GCS wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>  I have Jakarta and Cocoon on my machine. I realized that I have too many
> processes running as
> gcs      16889  0.1  6.7 244860 12784 pts/10 S    18:38   0:00 /usr/local/encap/jdk1.3.0_01/bin/i386/native_threads/java -Dtomcat.home=/usr/local/jakarta org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat
>
> On an other server, which has only Jakarta, there is only one process
> running this. Is it a configuration mistake on my side, or what
> happening here? If you have similar setup, please send me the number
> of processes in private.

this is off-topic for cocoon - i'd ask on the jakarta tomcat users mailing
list.

- donald