Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Piroumian Konstantin <KP...@protek.com> on 2002/10/31 16:16:36 UTC

RE: feedback from adopting Forrest to renew my site with i18n sup port

> From: IAS [mailto:master@iasandcb.pe.kr]
>
> I renovated my site http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr with Forrest.
> What I've been focusing on is i18n support, and the site
> shows clearly how it works. You can download its source files
> at http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/2g/ias-site.zip.
> Mainly I changed the following things:
> In sitemap.xmap,
> <map:serializer name="fo2pdf"
>                 src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.FOPSerializer"
>                 mime-type="application/pdf">
> -->     <user-config src="c:/java/ias/userconfig.xml"/>
>    </map:serializer>
> userconfig.xml and cyberbit.xml are for non-Latin-1 characters.
>
> In skins/ias-site/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl,
> all the values of "font-family attribute are converted to Cyberbit.
>
> In skinconf.xml,
> DTD definitions for host-url element are added.
>
> As a result, the site displays not only Korean characters but
> only Japanese characters. Moreover, generated PDF files also
> display all the characters without broken ones.

Cool! I just like seeing all that unusual (for me) characters on the same
page!

A few questions:
	- Is your site going to provide content in multiple languages and
are you going to provide content based on the user's selected locale?
	- Would you mind to provide Korean and/or Japanese translations to
Cocoon i18n samples?

To Forresters: Shouldn't we support i18n? We could use a special 'locale'
input module (yes, I know that input modules are not yet finalized) for
content selection. And also, I have a new implementation of i18n transformer
that can do in-place translations (though, personally, I prefer to have
separate documents for text content).

Regards,
  Konstantin

Posted by IAS <ma...@iasandcb.pe.kr>.

Thanks. If you want to see multilingual text, you can do that with
additional regional settings in Windows 2000 and XP regardless of what
they mean :)
> A few questions:
> 	- Is your site going to provide content in multiple languages
and
> are you going to provide content based on the user's selected locale?
I've been very interested in i18n and l10n since the Internet era began.
Actually there are some things I have to think of the issue:
per-page-l10n and one-page-i18n. Basically Java (standard platform and
enterprise platform) supports locale based bundle system, however, it
also has some inconvenience in handling non-unicode-typeset resource
files. I conceived XMLBundle, which implements ResourceBundle and
contains all the keys and values for multiple languages simultaneously
thanks to UTF-8 encoding of XML documents.
On the other hand, "XMLBundle" concept also has some demerit,
especially, for product use because i18n is not a job for one person.
Hence I'm now experimenting all the methods I can carry out. Recently I
was inspired by JSTL i18n and adopted it to my 1st-generation site,
http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/1g/ . Its welcome page is like this:

<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="fmt" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>
<c:if test="${param['locale'] != null}">
  <fmt:setLocale value="${param['locale']}" scope="session" />
</c:if>

Anyways, I'd like to tell you that I'm "now considering" like
Playstation2's "now loading". If you have ideas and implementations,
please let me know some. I'll appreciate all.
> 	- Would you mind to provide Korean and/or Japanese translations
> Cocoon i18n samples?

Could you inform me of the related pages (links) or contents?
> To Forresters: Shouldn't we support i18n? We could use a special
'locale'
> input module (yes, I know that input modules are not yet finalized)
for
> content selection. And also, I have a new implementation of i18n
> transformer
> that can do in-place translations (though, personally, I prefer to
have
> separate documents for text content).

I expect your great work on that, i.e. Forrest i18n.

Best Wishes,
IAS