Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2019/01/13 09:14:50 UTC

[IPMC] What to do with retired podling repositories

Hello IPMC and other folks,

We have a big bunch of retired podlings with git repositories on
git-wip-us. As we are working on retiring this service, we need to
address what happens with these old project repositories.

The retired podlings we need to address are:
blur, cmda, concerted, corinthia, cotton, gearpump, gossip, hdt, horn,
htrace, iota, mrql, openaz, pirk, provisionr, quickstep, ripple, s4,
slider, wave

Before February 7th, we at ASF Infra, would love if the incubator could
decide what happens to these repositories, either individually or as a
whole.

Some suggested options are:

1) delete the repositories
2) rename them to incubator-retired-$foo.git
3) Do nothing, but put a note on github etc that they retired.
4) punt it to the attic if possible (you'd have to coordinate with the
Attic PMC then)
5) Something else??

Please talk among yourselves and let Infra know :)

With regards,
Daniel on behalf of ASF Infra.

Re: [IPMC] What to do with retired podling repositories

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
Just a note from infra that we'll need a decision from the IPMC on this
matter no later than February 7th, preferably before :)

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by Sharan F <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi

I am doing some research on incubator projects and the ones that didn't
make it to TLP could be interesting to analyse so I'd be in favour of the
rename rather than a delete for now.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
In the past, SVN repos have just been made read-only.
(The intention was to move them to
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/RETIRED/ but that never
happened)

I think it would be a mistake to drop the repos.
There's no guarantee that the code is available anywhere else, and it
seems wrong to throw away any effort spent on it at the ASF.

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel

Yes I'll be using Kibble so a great suggestion! Sounds like a win-win situation to me :-)

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sharan F <sh...@apache.org>.