Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by David Rosenborg <da...@omgroup.com> on 2000/02/22 13:03:39 UTC

Liquidity

Hi,

What's the temperature of FOP?

The activity in CVS i pretty low right now. Why is that?
Is there a major offline transition to FO 2000 or are we
running around in circles afraid of taking major decisions
about PDF 1.2 vs 1.3, Java 1.1 vs 1.2, FO 2k yes/no etc.

I have a feeling that there is a lot of uncommited code
out there, for example image handling stuff. I think
it would be much better if code was more frequently commited
to the repository. The reason is that low liquidity yield
poor transparency of the current state. For example, I'm in
a badly need for a more complete table implementation and
I'm willing to put some effort in to get it done, but I don't
know if someone else has started or is close to completion of
such work. So I feel uncertain, and uncertainty impairs
productivity ...

So in short:

Who makes major decisions? If not a singel person, when do we vote?
How can we increase liquidity in the CVS repository?

Cheers,

</David>

David Rosenborg
OM Technology AB

Re: Liquidity

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <Fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
> Who makes major decisions? If not a singel person, when do we vote?
James Tauber started this and then he turned it over to xml.apache.org, so their rules
now determine, how decisions are made:

"All Developers are encouraged to participate in
decisions, but the decision itself is made by those that
have Committer status in the Project."
(see the whole thing on http://xml.apache.org/decisions.html)

Actually it means that everybody is invited to vote and give arguments, so the best
informed decision can be found.

> Is there a major offline transition to FO 2000 or are we
> running around in circles afraid of taking major decisions
> about PDF 1.2 vs 1.3, Java 1.1 vs 1.2, FO 2k yes/no etc.
No, all this has been decided: PDF 1.3 has been agreed on. Java 1.1 has also been
voted on. The result was, as far as I remember, to stay with it for now.
FO 2000 is the next larger step in the development of fop.

> How can we increase liquidity in the CVS repository?
Maybe it helps to inform regulary on the status of FOP on this list. The status files is
supposed to be sent 3 times a week to this group automatically. Well, it is not happening
automatically, but I can send it manually once a week. Probably this makes it easier for
developers to jump in and say something like "I am working on this".

Fotis