Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Vijay <te...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/18 23:31:32 UTC

Strange error with hive jdbc and DBVisualizer

Hi,

I'm trying to get hive jdbc work with DBVisualizer. I added a new driver
using DBVisualizer driver interface and specified all the relevant jar
files. DBVisualizer can register the driver fine, load it and try to use it.
However, when the driver ultimately tries to initialize hive (HiveClient to
be specific), I see some exceptions in the DBVisualizer debug window that it
can't find the hive-site.xml (or the hive-default.xml) file at all. I've
included the hive conf directory as one of the "user specified" classpath
entries in the driver manager. Does anybody have some experience with this?

Despite the error above though, DBVisualizer is able to connect to my driver
and proceed a bit further. It fails later but I'm still looking into that.

Thanks,
Vijay

Re: Strange error with hive jdbc and DBVisualizer

Posted by Matt Pestritto <ma...@pestritto.com>.
Vijay -

I got a little bit further than that before I hit a wall.  DBVisualizer
isn't forgiving and requires a compliant JDBC driver.  When it runs into
methods that aren't implemented it throws an error and doesn't let you
continue.  E.g. getSchema (?) is called right after the JDBC driver connects
to the thrift server and that method isn't implemented in the HIVE JDBC
driver.  There are only a few methods developed ( execute ) but DBVisualizer
can't make it past getSchema (?) .

However, I did get SQuirrel to work.  It complains at first that the driver
isn't compliant but lets you execute queries.  You can't browse schema only
execute queries.

Thanks
-Matt