Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com> on 2016/10/06 03:39:41 UTC

FlexJS application and swf mudoles

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience working with FlexJS Application
and swf Modules.

I would like to test FlexJS and it would make my life much easier if somehow
I could start by recoding the main application and continue to use the
existing swf modules.

Thanks!!

Carlos

RE: FlexJS application and swf mudoles

Posted by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com>.
Thanks for the input, along the same topic, I looked but didn't find too
much related info, can someone tell me or point me where I can find the
information relating to  if FlexJS can use BlazeDS.

Thanks!!
Carlos

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/5/16, 10:06 PM, "Carlos Cruz" <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com> wrote:

>In my particular case the MAIN Application's main function is to control
>which module is active by controlling the active object in a ViewStack.
>The MAIN Application also displays the system alerts i.e. Calendar
>reminders. The main Modules are really separate applications, as a matter
>of fact for testing purposes they all have their own Top Application to
>load the main Module the "controller-module", the controller-modules then
>loads the other submodules as required. The 3 principle ways the Module
>communicate with the MAIN Application by in order of popular use: 1.
>Global variables, 2. Passing values In Events 3. RemoteObjects in
>conjunction with Red5. Beyond that the modules communicate directly with
>a Java backend via BlazeDS.
>
>Since I work on Enterprise applications I like to at least give the
>"illusion" the user is using a single screen application, that is why I
>also use Dojo for some of the other work I do.
>
>If my application HAS to become multiple separate applications (ie CRM,
>Calendar) I presume a couple of ways to pass data around would via
>WebSockets or even BlazeDS.

Well, when you mix JS and SWFs you can't talk between them with globals
and events.  I think most folks use ExternalInterface.  But even then, the
data is "converted" across the boundary.

When we get around to it, a FlexJS module would compile to be a SWF and/or
a JS file.  ModuleManager/ModuleLoader would load a SWF when running in
SWF mode, and load a JS file when running in HTML/JS.  That way you have
SWFs talking to other SWFs and JS talking to other JS and then globals and
events should still work.

Mixing SWFs and JS will be more difficult.

It might be better to experiment with porting the main application and one
module so the communication doesn't have to cross the SWF/JS boundary.  Of
course, somebody would have to create the FlexJS versions of
ModuleManager/ModuleLoader first.

If you want to head down that road, let us know and maybe some volunteers
will help get you started.

Thanks,
-Alex

RE: FlexJS application and swf mudoles

Posted by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com>.
[...]

That is why I was hoping to hear from someone who already had or was trying to do with I want to try, because I'm so "confused" LOL!!

Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks!
Carlos

>I'm wondering if anyone has any experience working with FlexJS
>Application and swf Modules.
>

>I would like to test FlexJS and it would make my life much easier if
>somehow I could start by recoding the main application and continue to
>use the existing swf modules.

Hi Carlos,

We don't have support for modules yet.  Volunteers could try to create it.
 But the first implementation would probably have the FlexJS SWF output loading SWF-based modules and the FlexJS HTML/JS output loading other html or js files.  For your scenario, how would the swf modules communicate to the FlexJS JS code?  Or is the main app a shell app that doesn't talk much to the modules?

Thanks,

-Alex

Re: FlexJS application and swf mudoles

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.