Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tariq Chalabi <ta...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2004/02/13 09:56:37 UTC

NT Service shutsdown unexpectedly

My setup is Win2k server, Tomcat 4.1.24 installed as a Windows Service, IIS 5, JSDK 1.4.1_02.

I'm using the JK2 connector and here's the copy of my workers2.properties.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------# change this to your own location
[shm]
file=D:/Program Files/Apache Group/Tomcat 4.1/temp/shm.txt
size=1048576

# Define the communication channel
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
tomcatId=localhost:8009
[logger.file:0]
level=INFO
file=D:/Program Files/Apache Group/Tomcat 4.1/logs/iis_jk2.log

# uses the newly created File logger as the default one..
[workerEnv:]
logger=logger.file:0

# Map the Tomcat examples webapp to the Web server uri space
[uri:/axis/services/AuthService*]
[uri:/policeAdmin/*]
[uri:/ccWeb/*]
[uri:/manager/*]

I've developed a Struts based app that uses the Commons Connection Pool to read/ write data from an Oracle database.

Everything works fine when I'm testing the app by myself.  The only slightly puzzling thing is that I get a stream of errors logged from the ISAPI filter - typical messages are:

Thu Feb 12 09:51:24 2004] (error ) [jk_worker_ajp13.c (416)]  ajp13.service() ajpGetReply recoverable error 120000
[Thu Feb 12 09:51:24 2004] (error ) [jk_channel_socket.c (557)]  channelSocket.receive(): Error receiving message body -1 0
[Thu Feb 12 09:51:24 2004] (error ) [jk_workerEnv.c (482)]  workerEnv.processCallbacks() Error reading reply

So far I've ignored these - because everything seems to work.  Can anyone tell me how to stop these messages?

However - when I increase the load on the site in stress testing - the Tomcat service unexpectedly shutsdown.  This is repeatable.  I get a Dr Watson in the event viewer log - but no indications of any other error in the Tomcat logs

But if I run Tomcat from the command line there is no problem - the site copes well with the extra load.

I've noticed that have been other posts describing similar behaviour.

Is this a reported bug?  Is there a cure?

Thanks in advance

Tariq

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80