Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com> on 2008/05/07 20:55:33 UTC

JSecurity Champion Recruitment

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for a while, attempting to get an overall feel for
the incubator process, and this is my first foray into (hopefully)
making things a reality for our project, JSecurity.

JSecurity (http://www.jsecurity.org/) is a "powerful and flexible
open-source Java security framework that cleanly handles
authentication, authorization, enterprise session management and
cryptography."

Our mission is to "provide the most robust and comprehensive Java
security framework available while also being very easy to understand
and extremely simple to use."

The JSecurity development team has discussed at length about what it
means to become an Apache project and what it would mean for our team
and the future direction of the project.  After having read the
incubator processes and policies at length, we are now prepared to
engage with the ASF.  This is our formal attempt at recruiting a
Champion in the hopes of acquiring guidance into the proposal phase,
understanding the ASF in more detail and maybe eventually becoming a
podling.

Mission Statement & project origins: http://www.jsecurity.org/about
High level features overview: http://www.jsecurity.org/features
Community support - forums, mailing lists, jira:
http://www.jsecurity.org/support

JSecurity is Apache 2.0 licensed.

Thank you for any feedback and recommendations.  We look forward to
your responses.

Best regards,

Les Hazlewood
JSecurity lead & project founder

Re: JSecurity Champion Recruitment

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
We're definitely happy to receive mentors when possible.  All 5 of us
on the current JSecurity team have not been on an Apache project team
(that I'm aware of at least), so I'm sure we could use the direction.
Thanks for offering!

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Ahh, the scars won't come from you.  No, they won't come from
you....  ;)

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Alan, this is fantastic news!

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com> wrote:
>  JSecurity (http://www.jsecurity.org/) is a "powerful and flexible
>  open-source Java security framework that cleanly handles
>  authentication, authorization, enterprise session management and
>  cryptography."

I've was just looking at JSecurity a few weeks back as an option for
replacing our homebrewed solution we use in FtpServer. From the
documentation it looks like it would be a perfect fit.

That said, I would be interested in you becoming a podling. Since I'm
not an Apache member I can't champion the project nor am I a IPMC
member so I can't mentor you either.

/niklas

Re: JSecurity Champion Recruitment

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Hi Siegfried,
We certainly welcome and encourage you to join our community.  We're truly
excited about the possibility of continuing to grow through the ASF, as this
is our primary motivating factor in wanting to become a podling.

Please feel free to join our mailing lists when trying to integrate.  We're
happy to help and hope that it does result in you joining our efforts.  :)

Cheers,

Les

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Les,

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback.  Simplicity and ease-of-understanding are
paramount factors when we discuss architectural/implementation
approaches.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.