Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by "Ju@N" <ju...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/08 08:52:14 UTC

[DISCUSS]: Commit Message Format too Short?

Hello devs,

I've notice that, lately, not everybody is following the guidelines we have
highlighted in our Wiki under *Commit Message Format [1]*, specially the
first requirement: *GEODE-nn: Capitalized, 50 chars or less summary. *As an
example, out of the last 33 commits in develop, only 11 follow the 50 chars
max rule.
Even though I've always followed this "rule", I often find it hard to
provide a summary of the commit in less than 50 chars, that's probably the
reason why other people are just ignoring this part of the guidelines?.
Should we increase the maximum amount of characters from 50 to something
else?, should we add a hard check in order to automatically enforce the
rule?, should we delete the rule altogether?, thoughts?.
Best regards.

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Commit+Message+Format

--
Ju@N

Re: [DISCUSS]: Commit Message Format too Short?

Posted by Juan José Ramos <jr...@pivotal.io>.
Yes, the 50 chars cap rule is *only for the subject of the commit message*.
The actual body of the commit message should contain all the details, with
a maximum of 72 characters per line.
Example:

*GEODE-XXX: 50 chars or less summary - [Commit Message Subject]Blank
lineMore details about the commit, the why, the changes, capped to 72 -
[Commit Message Body - Line1]chars per line.  - [Commit Message Body -
Line2]*
*More details.  - [Commit Message Body - Line3]*
*...*
*Yet more details.  - [Commit Message Body - LineN]*

Cheers.

--
Juan José Ramos Cassella
Senior Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS]: Commit Message Format too Short?

Posted by Ernest Burghardt <eb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.
The Template Checklist is a great reference for the committer who builds
and submits the PR, but I find it of little value as a posted comment for
reviewers of the PR - just takes up a lot of space. As a frequent reviewer,
I like to see:
- A clear and concise title beginning with the ticket number
- Additional details in the initial comments box.
Currently, if the title exceeds the space available, it wraps into the
comment box. It ain't pretty, but it works for those occasions when more
space is needed.

Posted by Ernest Burghardt <eb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.

Guidelines (not rules) can be helpful.  I would like developers reading our commit message guidelines <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Commit+Message+Format> to be inspired to "tell the story of your work”, not waste 10 minutes manually reflowing a paragraph because one added word made the first line too long to cat to lp.

Posted by Juan José Ramos <jr...@pivotal.io>.
Hello Alberto,

--
Juan José Ramos Cassella
Senior Software Engineer

RE: [DISCUSS]: Commit Message Format too Short?

[2]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Commit+Message+Format

--
Juan José Ramos Cassella
Senior Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS]: Commit Message Format too Short?

Posted by Juan José Ramos <jr...@pivotal.io>.
Hello Owen,

--
Juan José Ramos Cassella
Senior Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS]: Commit Message Format too Short?

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.