Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ján Valkovič <ya...@samsonzv.sk> on 2009/10/27 13:16:50 UTC

Removing unused currencies

Hi,
in r825188 was removed "dead" currencies for countries which switched to
euro. I think, that wasn't good idea (or good idea in all cases). For
example, slovak krona is currently used for dual price view until end of
2009. In some cases old currencies are important for
orders/quotes/invoices history, too.

ya

Re: Removing unused currencies

Posted by Ján Valkovič <ya...@samsonzv.sk>.
Pierre,
that's ok :-) I want only notice for possible problem with this in
future.

ya

Dňa Ut, 2009-10-27 o 14:11 +0100, Pierre Smits napísal:

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Ján,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>
> On Oct 27, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>

>>> Why not?
>>
>> Because they are not used anymore. For instance in France we don't  use the franc for eight years (and, like many French - and
>> European  for their own currency I guess-, I struggled to forget it). Same for  all the countries which entered the Euro zone in
>> 2001. On the other  hand, as I suggested we could add the currencies that are still in  use. BTW, I privately received this
>> answer from Ján
>> 1) I agree, i mean primarily old currencies for new coutries in  european monetary union, as Slovakia, Slovenia etc. (and in
>> future
>> Poland or Czech Republic).
>>
>> In teen years I suggest we remove them again. But anyway, who knows  what the world will be in 10 years :o)
>>
>> Note that I will not begin a war of religion, and if the community  prefer to revert, I will. It's maybe also easier...
>
> You said "We can't keep all old European currencies indefinitely." I  bed to differ. Technically we CAN keep them indefinitely.
>
> The point I was trying to make is not can or can't we, but what should  we do? The issue about historical data is a good one,
> because there  will likely be existing or migrated data that relates to these  currencies for many years after the currencies are
> no longer usable.
>
> We could add a flag to say if a currency can be used or not for new  transactions...

I did not thought it that way because these currencies (replaced by Euro in 2001) should have never been used in OFBiz.
But yes your proposition makes sense at large. What will you suggest as Entity.field ?
Fortunately we have already a Jira issue (re)opened for that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-847

Jacques

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
David E Jones a écrit :

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 6:28 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> Ján,
>>
>> 1) We can't keep all old European currencies  indefinitely.
>
> Why not?
It's easier to add missing currencies. In France some entreprise use
french Franc for compare to history but rarely. I prefer to have most
active currencies in standard and add lessing during integration process.

Nicolas

--
Nicolas MALIN
Consultant