Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/16 12:27:42 UTC

Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 at 14:41, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> [Sorry for jumping into the discussion while missing the meaning of
> most of what is being said (and cutting it).]

In future please start a new thread in such cases.

> > [...]
> > > So why cause additional work for projects that no longer use the CMS?
> >
> > I repeat, projects hopped on to the SVN area of the CMS , that is unsupported
> > and should not have been allowed to happen, it was a workaround by projects
> > undocumented to support mainly javadocs etc from what I gather.
> >
> > You caused the additional work yourselves in the beginning by not fully removing
> > from the CMS and all its infrastructure. Infra wants to clear out that area as part
> > of migrating away and provides a new space.
>
> From what I recollect, each of the "Commons" projects (component) has its
> own "trunk" area that is now a "git" repository.
> "trunk" contains a sub-directory under SVN named "site-content".[1]
> For quite some time now, the only thing I'm doing with this directory is along
> the following:
>  $ mvn site site:stage
>  $ cd site-content
>  $ rm -rf *
>  $ cp -r ../target/staging/* .
> ["svn add" for added files, "svn del" for removed files...]
>  $ svn commit
> And the web site for that component was updated.
>
> Is "site-content" being replaced by another location?
> Is the consequence that in each component we'll have to
>  $ svn co https://new_location_of_site_content site-content
> ?

Yes, that is what Infra want people to do.
Effectively to rename

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-math
as
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/sites/commons/content/proper/commons-math

> Could we perhaps take this opportunity to do away with SVN
> and "site-content" and have some "mvn" target directly populate
> the web site?

That would be a good idea, but will likely take more than 30 days to
design and test.

The Commons website consists of lots of different parts which are
separately built.

The overall website is served from

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/

The component sites are committed to the appropriate subtree, so when
the whole is checked out it all fits together.

> Regards,
> Gilles
>
> [1] This has always seemed like a kludge and has repeatedly
> caused issues (some of which have been worked around in the
> POM, IIRC).

Yes, it is a bit of a kludge, but it was a reasonable solution at the time.

There are now more options, so it might be possible to improve things.

But this needs some thought and planning to ensure everything fits
together, and to ensure it's possible to transition without breaking
the website for too long.

Who is going to so the work?

Can it be done and implemented in the 30 day time limit?

Re: Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Le ven. 16 avr. 2021 à 15:15, sebb <se...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 13:40, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.

> > > In future please start a new thread in such cases.

> > > Yes, that is what Infra want people to do.
> > > Effectively to rename
> > >
> > > https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-math
> > > as
> > > https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/sites/commons/content/proper/commons-math

> > > That would be a good idea, but will likely take more than 30 days to
> > > design and test.
> > >
> > > The Commons website consists of lots of different parts which are
> > > separately built.
> > >
> > > The overall website is served from
> > >
> > > https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/
> > >
> > > The component sites are committed to the appropriate subtree, so when
> > > the whole is checked out it all fits together.

> > > Yes, it is a bit of a kludge, but it was a reasonable solution at the time.
> > >
> > > There are now more options, so it might be possible to improve things.
> > >
> > > But this needs some thought and planning to ensure everything fits
> > > together, and to ensure it's possible to transition without breaking
> > > the website for too long.
> > >
> > > Who is going to so the work?
> > >
> > > Can it be done and implemented in the 30 day time limit?
> > >

> > IMHO, the questions are first targeted at INFRA (hence it was
> > appropriate to discuss in the original thread, if I may add);
>
> IMO it is not on-topic for the original thread.

Then I did not understand the original thread. Sorry.

> > they
> > could perhaps point to a (hopefully easy) solution that will please
> > everyone.
>
> If you want an answer from Infra you will have to raise it with them.

I won't do that since I obviously do not understand what was
being talked about.

Gilles

Re: Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

> [...]
>
> The component sites are committed to the appropriate subtree, so when
> the whole is checked out it all fits together.
>
> > Regards,
> > Gilles
> >
> > [1] This has always seemed like a kludge and has repeatedly
> > caused issues (some of which have been worked around in the
> > POM, IIRC).
>
> Yes, it is a bit of a kludge, but it was a reasonable solution at the time.
>
> There are now more options, so it might be possible to improve things.
>
> But this needs some thought and planning to ensure everything fits
> together, and to ensure it's possible to transition without breaking
> the website for too long.
>
> Who is going to so the work?
>
> Can it be done and implemented in the 30 day time limit?

IMHO, the questions are first targeted at INFRA (hence it was
appropriate to discuss in the original thread, if I may add); they

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Yes, I see there are pieces of missing information.

When I was doing the work I referred to a couple of Infra web pages to figure out how things worked. The links are below. In particular, see "Specifying a sub-directory to publish to” in the second link.

The .asf.yaml file is the key. The subdir field identifies where the sub-site should appear in the directory structure of the web site.  Basically, you should consider that your web site is going to occupy a single directory structure wherever the web sites are hosted from. The subdir attribute directs the tooling as to where each repo should be copied when a commit is performed.

This means that you can break the web site into as few or as many repos as you want. The commons-site repo would host the basic shell of the site.

If you look at the logging-site repo you will see that it has a source directory and a content directory.  The source directory contains the editable content.  After editing maven is used to convert the content to html and copy it to the content directory. The content directory is where the web tooling will pull the website from.

The ask.yaml link says:
	The staging and deployment servers support both the content/ sub-dir and the pelican build output/ sub-dir as the root directory for the web site. Thus, the website root can be any of:
		• The root of the git branch
		• The content/ directory at the root of the branch
		• The output/ directory at the root of the branch

If you choose the root directory then it would be difficult to host the web site source in the same repo. So for the logging project I went with the content directory.  However, since all the subprojects are built from the individual projects using the Maven site plugin, they all use the root directory.

Hopefully, that helps explain how it works a little better.

Ralph

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Migrate+your+project+website+from+the+Apache+CMS
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
One other think I should add. Although Infra’s pages mention tools that you can use those are just suggestions. As long as you use the .asf.yaml files and place the files in the correct locations in the repos you can use any tooling you want to create the sites. I used JBake because I felt it was pretty close to what we were doing in the CMS, but as long as the site gets converted from its source format (markdown, asciidoc, whatever) into HTML and gets placed into the correct directories you can do anything you want.

Ralph

Re: Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

[Not replying to the previously last message in the thread but a
heads-up following Bruno's reminder about ".asf.yaml" and Ralph's
mention of it earlier in this thread.]

Could we start from the bottom-up, i.e. create a git repository for
hosting each component's web site?
Then we can gradually adapt the links of the top-level Commons
site to point to the new locations.

Gilles

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

> On Apr 29, 2021, at 4:49 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 12:00, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You are proposing about 50 new Git repos.
>>
>> Only because it seems that the functionality was intended that way.
>
> Not as far as I know; many repos have asf-site and asf-staging
> branches alongside the code.

While that works it means that you have “code” branches and “web site” branches in the
same git repo. While Git certainly won’t care it will likely confuse new contributors for 10 minutes.

Ralph

Re: Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 15:37, Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 12:49, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 12:00, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > "asf-staging"
> > will

> > > Only because it seems that the functionality was intended that way.
> >
> > Not as far as I know; many repos have asf-site and asf-staging
> > branches alongside the code.
> >
> > > Also: Having independent repositories seems the safest path for
> > > experimenting mix and match; if the latter works, not all components
> > > will use the new system, or migration can be done gradually.
> >
> > It does not matter whether the branches are in the same or a different
> > repo.
> >

> IIUC it does for anyone using 'git clone ...' to get the source code. They
> will be subjected to a download of all the site history. This may become
> significant over time relative to the size of the source.

That's a good point.

Looks like we will have to put up with lots of Git repos if we start
to use Git for the site builds.

Re: Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 12:00, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le jeu. 29 avr. 2021 à 01:45, sebb <se...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 00:10, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > It occurs to me that we *should* create a specific "git" repository
> > > for holding web site contents; having the "asf-site" and "asf-staging"
> > > branches in the component's repository is looking for trouble: It will
> > > be too easy to commit the (generated) web files into "master"
> > > instead of the appropriate branch.  [If allowed (even recommended
> > > as per the doc) by INFRA, we should not frown upon the increased
> > > separation of concern (source code vs web site management).]
> > >
> > > "Logging" has one repository for the top-level site and a separate
> > > repository for every component.
> > > IMO, we should do the same (and copy their ".asf.yaml" layout).
> >
> > You are proposing about 50 new Git repos.
>
> Only because it seems that the functionality was intended that way.

Not as far as I know; many repos have asf-site and asf-staging
branches alongside the code.

> Also: Having independent repositories seems the safest path for
> experimenting mix and match; if the latter works, not all components
> will use the new system, or migration can be done gradually.

It does not matter whether the branches are in the same or a different repo.

> > > Until we make the git switch for the live top-level site, we would indeed
> > > (as you proposed) not have a "publish" section in any of the ".asf.yaml"
> > > files (in any of the repositories); we'd only use the "staging" section
> > > that will make the site accessible at
> > >     https://commons.staged.apache.org
> >
> > The top-level site does NOT have to be switched to Git for this to work.
> > As I already wrote we can mix SVN and Git.
>
> I propose this in order to be able to test the *full* solution without
> messing with the current setup, based on what you wrote previously:
> That
>     https://commons.staged.apache.org
> would go away.  [It's not: It will be used as the staging site through the
> ".asf.yaml" mechanism (cf. doc).]

Sorry, I was wrong about that.

> > But of course the way the website is built needs to be changed to
> > select the individual parts as already described.
> > This means a change to the svnpubsub configuration.
> >
> > > Any objection to creating the following repositories:
> > >     commons-site.git
> >
> > -1: it's not needed; we can still use the SVN repo.
> >
> > >     commons-math-site.git
> > > ?
> >
> > Fine, but please try (and document) the full process of how to stage
> > the site and how to push the staged site to the asf-site branch.
>
> Practical question: Do we care about getting lots commit messages
> sent to the commits@ ML during the test phase?
> Or should I direct the traffic to some other list (which one?) in the
> meantime
>
> > There's no point converting to Git if that process is more involved
> > than the existing process.
>
> I'm not sure that we mean the same with "the existing process".
> Earlier in the thread, I've described what I do:
>
> $ mvn site site:stage
> $ cd site-content
> $ rm -rf *
> $ cd ../target/staging/
> $ cp -r * ../../site-content
> $ cd ../../site-content
> $ svn status
> [Use some commands to "svn add" all the new files and "svn del"
> to remove all the file that do not exist anymore.]
> $ svn commit

AFAIK that can all be done with 'mvn site:publish' though I could be wrong.

> What I'd like to know is whether the "process" should be different
> with the current setup.
>
> IIUC, the ".asf.yaml" approach is to create a subdirectory for each
> new version of the web site (in sync with versions of the code).

No, subdirectories for each version is independent of the .asf.yaml approach.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

> On Apr 29, 2021, at 3:58 AM, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> There's no point converting to Git if that process is more involved
>> than the existing process.
>
> I'm not sure that we mean the same with "the existing process".
> Earlier in the thread, I've described what I do:
>
> $ mvn site site:stage
> $ cd site-content
> $ rm -rf *
> $ cd ../target/staging/
> $ cp -r * ../../site-content
> $ cd ../../site-content
> $ svn status
> [Use some commands to "svn add" all the new files and "svn del"
> to remove all the file that do not exist anymore.]
> $ svn commit
>
> What I'd like to know is whether the "process" should be different
> with the current setup.
>
> IIUC, the ".asf.yaml" approach is to create a subdirectory for each
> new version of the web site (in sync with versions of the code).

That is what Log4j does. It did that even when using CMS/SVN. It is not required nor should it be considered a best practice.

Ralph

Re: Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le mar. 27 avr. 2021 à 12:32, sebb <se...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > > Are you offering to do the work?
> >
> > If the option is still on the table, I could test the
> > website-related feature of ".asf.yaml":
> >     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/git+-+.asf.yaml+features#git.asf.yamlfeatures-BranchProtection
>
> Please do NOT attempt to use the 'publish' feature.
>
> As I already wrote that will likely mangle the current website and may
> require Infa assistance to untangle.

I certainly do not want to do that.

> Removal of a publish entry from .asf.yaml does not undo the checkout,
> and only Infra have direct access to the TLP server.

Alas, there is a limit to INFRA's magics... ;-)

> However, you could experiment with the 'staging' feature, and see how
> easy it is to publish the site to the asf-site branch.

I must be missing something because I don't see what there is
to do then, apart from
  $ git checkout asf-site
  $ mvn site site:stage

And, just as now, the functional (except perhaps for the links to
the top-level Commons site) static site will be under
  target/staging

> Just don't attempt to publish that branch.
>

> > > BTW, I have found out that it is possible to combine site content from
> > > SVN and Git repos in order to create the website checkout.
> > > So there is no need to convert to Git.
> >
> > Is it the solution straightforwardly applicable to the current
> > setup of the Commons web site? [So that ".asf.yaml" should
> > not be used for the projects' sites.]
>
> AFAICT, yes.
>
> The website is currently taken from:
>
> https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons
>
> This is done as a single checkout.
>
> This could be changed to take the top-level website from its own
> location, and the dormant, sandbox and proper trees could be checked
> out into the relevant subdirectories.
>
> This should be fine so long as the top-level site does not have any
> files in those 3 subdirectories.
>
> For an example of this, go to
> https://infra-reports.apache.org/site-source/
> and enter 'ant.apache.org' in the search box 'Find a web site'
>
> You should see 4 entries at different levels derived from different SVN URLs.
> Note that in each case the parent SVN tree does not have an entry for
> its children.
> E.g. The SVN location for ant.apache.org does not have a directory
> easyant or ivy.
>
> Note that .asf.yaml does not apply to SVN checkouts.
>
> If we were to determine that Git was better for the proper websites,

How to do that without a playground for testing?

> we would need to ensure that the existing site is removed from SVN
> before trying to replace it with one from Git.

That's why we should be able to test the full set of options.  Is it
possible to "publish" to some place that would not interfere with
the current setup (and its adapting to INFRA's requirements)?

Could we perhaps use the "subdir" feature (see below the copy/paste
of INFRA's instructions) in order to publish to an alternative page:

https://commons.apache.org
  -> current top-level (still using SVN)
https://commons.apache.org/git-site-commons
  -> alternative top-level (testing ".asf.yaml", publishing to given "sudir")
https://commons.apache.org/math
  -> current site for component (using SVN)
https://commons.apache.org/git-site-math
  -> component's alternative site
If the git top-level site is not created yet (due to lack of time or deciding
it's not worth it), links from the alternative site would point to the current
top-level, but that would still allow each component to independently test
(at its own pace) the move to "git".

> > > ==
> > >
> > > If there is a desire to use Git for the component websites, I suggest
> > > you try creating a couple of branches in the commons-math repository:
> > > asf-staging and asf-site.
> > >
> > > See if it is easy to create the staging site and then commit it to the
> > > asf-site branch.
> >
> > Did I misunderstand that the above documentation assumes a
> > dedicated "git" repository for the web site's contents?
>
> Not sure what documentation you are referring to.

From the link above, here is the part that concerns web sites
publication:
---CUT---

Web Site Deployment Service for Git Repositories

The staging and publish features of the .asf.yaml file in a git
repository manages web site deployment.

NOTE : Web site staging and publishing features are applied using the
repository in which you have specified staging and publishing . Thus,
only specify it within the repository that contains your web site
material, or you could end up just seeing a list of source code files
from your source repository.

Primer

A basic staging and publishing profile to get you started could be:

# Staging and publishing profile for yourproject-website.git:
staging:
  profile: ~
  whoami:  asf-staging

publish:
  whoami:  asf-site

This configuration enables a staging (live preview) web site at
yourproject.staged.apache.org using the asf-staging branch of your
repository, as well as deploying the asf-site branch of the repository
to your main web site at yourproject.apache.org. Details below:

Staging a web site preview domain

To enable staging (live preview) of your project's web site,  add a
staging entry to the site repository's .asf.yaml file.
As an example, take the imaginary yourproject-website.git with an
.asf.yaml file containing the following entry:

staging:
  profile: beta

This would stage the current branch at
https://yourproject-beta.staged.apache.org/ . You can add multiple
staging profiles and thus multiple branches staged for preview. This
can be helpful when doing A/B evaluations of website contents and
features.

You can also omit the profile value, and stage directly at
https://yourproject.staged.apache.org/ . ( "~" (tilde) means "no
value" in YAML):

staging:
  profile: ~

Preventing branch-override on cloning a branch

Set a protection on multi-tenancy by specifying a whoami setting. If
the setting's value does not match the current branch, no
checkout/update will happen. You can have this in the .asf.yaml file
on the asf-staging branch:

staging:
  profile: ~
  whoami:  asf-staging

When you clone that branch to a new branch like asf-staging-copy, the
staging web site server will notice that the value of whoami does not
match asf-staging-copy, and will ignore that branch until the whoami
is updated to match it.

Publishing a branch to your project web site

Note: if you have previously used gitwcsub for web site publishing,
your first publish action using .asf.yaml will cause any existing
gitwcsub or svnwcsub subscription to stop working. This ensures that
there are no race conditions or "repository fights" going on when you
publish.

To publish a branch to your project web site sub-domain
(yourproject.apache.org), set up a configuration block called publish
in your .asf.yaml file. Enable branch-protection through the whoami
parameter, like so:

publish:
  whoami: asf-site

If, for whatever reason, a project wishes to revert back to gitwcsub
for publishing, remove the publish feature in your .asf.yaml file.

Specifying a non-apache.org hostname

By default, web sites will be published at $project.apache.org where
$project is the sub-domain name of your project, as determined by the
repository name.
Some projects have special domains, like openoffice.org, and may
publish to these by specifying a hostname attribute in the publish
configuration block:

publish:
  whoami:   asf-site
  hostname: www.openoffice.org

NOTE: You cannot specify your $project.apache.org hostname with this
setting. It has to be inferred to prevent abuse. Also, please do not
abuse this feature, thanks!

Specifying a sub-directory to publish to

To publish to a sub-directory of the web site URL, specify a subdir
value. Such checkouts can be useful for sub-projects.
For instance, if httpd wished to check out a repository into
httpd.apache.org/subproject, they could use the following
configuration:

publish:
  whoami:    asf-site
  subdir:    subproject

CMS/pelican sub-directories for static output

The staging and deployment servers support both the content/ sub-dir
and the pelican build output/ sub-dir as the root directory for the
web site. Thus, the website root can be any of:

The root of the git branch
The content/ directory at the root of the branch
The output/ directory at the root of the branch

---CUT---

> But AFAIK it does not matter if there is a separate Git repo with the
> asf-site and asf-staging branches, just as long as they can be
> separately checked out.

Perhaps; however isn't it a step towards more flexibility?  [E.g. if
one wants to use alternative tools for generating the HTML files.]

> > Or is this suggested only for an overhaul of how the sites are
> > built?  I.e. do we need/want something like
> >     https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-site.git
> >     https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j-site.git;a=tree
> > or not?
> >
> > Strangely, there is something there:
> >     https://commons.staged.apache.org/
>
> That is part of the CMS, and will be going away.

?
This is part of the setup that uses ".asf.yaml" (cf. doc).

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
See below

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 at 18:40, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le dim. 18 avr. 2021 à 15:38, sebb <se...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> >
> > On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 at 13:40, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Note that git also has its gitlink and sub modules features that we could
> > > use here.
> >
> > Are they easy to use?
> > Who is going to design and test the replacement?
> > Will such a design really be easier to use?
> > There's no point changing the publication strategy if it is not an improvement.
>
> Quoting Ralph Goers:
> ---CUT---
> When I release Log4j I rum mvn site followed by "mvn site:stage
> -DstagingDirectory=$HOME/log4j” on my laptop. I validate the site
> locally and then zip the site, cd to my logging-log4j-site project and
> unzip it where I want it to go.
> ---CUT---
>
> Is that the "publication strategy" which you think is not worth
> changing to?
>
> That's not more complicated than what I do now (mentioned in the
> other thread).

AFAIK the steps you mention in the other thread can be replaced by:

$ mvn clean site-deploy # for single module components
OR
$ mvn clean site site:stage scm-publish:publish-scm # multi module

I'm not sure that the proposed method is no more complicated than the
present arrangements.

The proposal would be two local workspaces to maintain, and two repos
for each component.

There's also the issue that most of the poms would likely need
changing, and the change would not be as simple as changing a URL.

As well as setting up all the extra Git branches and/or repos.

I don't know if a website can be served from a combination of SVN and
Git sources, so the top-level website would need to be converted to
Git, and something done about the dormant and sandbox sites - probably
would need at least one more Git repo to hold them.

The only advantage I can see is that there could be a public staging
repo for each site.

Is that worth all the extra setup?

And who is doing the work?

> IIUC, the "zip" step could be skipped altogether by setting the
> "staginDirectory" directly to be the site reporsitory (?).

Yes, but that is a minor issue.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Submodules are documented at https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tools-Submodules. It is a pretty short read. In a sense it is a replacement for the .asf.yaml in the submodules. Every sub-project would still likely have its own repo but you could get them all just by cloning the parent repo with some extra flags on the clone. When you commit changes to the sub-module they still go back to the individual repos, not the parent.

> Who is going to design and test the replacement?
> Will such a design really be easier to use?
> There's no point changing the publication strategy if it is not an improvement.

Unfortunately, I can’t answer that. I don’t recall ever updating any of the Commons web sites.

> We do at least have a way forward if Infra insist on removing
> websites/production.
> Simple to implement, but tedious, as nearly every proper component POM
> will need updating, and existing checkouts will need replacing.
> At least it's a one-off change, and it won't change processes, except
> perhaps for the top-level site.

Having gone through a similar process and after reviewing http://commons.apache.org/site-publish.html I’d have to say that the effort isn’t really much different. Logging Services hasn’t implemented any automation around publishing to the main site as Commons seems to do, but it certainly wouldn’t be hard to create a GitHub action to do it.

The main difference I see is that the current commons process seems to deploy directly to the live site. With Git all your commits should go to the ash-staging branch and the automation should be building that. Making it go live is as simple as:

git checkout asf-site
git rebase asf-staging
git push

This allows you to validate the site before it goes live.

Ralph

Re: Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

> On Apr 17, 2021, at 3:32 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 22:57, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <ma...@dslextreme.com>> wrote:
>>

>> When I release Log4j I rum mvn site followed by "mvn site:stage -DstagingDirectory=$HOME/log4j” on my laptop. I validate the site locally and then zip the site, cd to my logging-log4j-site project and unzip it where I want it to go.
>
> In the Wiki that process is described as follows:
>
> "3. Add the new site under the content directory (or a subdirectory of
> that as appropriate)."
>
> This leaves out all the detail, making it seem simpler than it is.
>
> We don't have to do that zip dance currently, because the
> site-content/ directory is checked out in the workspace.
> So the site can be built directly into the target.

Yes, a bit more explanation certainly would be helpful. I didn’t understand it either when I read it until I looked at the .asf.yaml files in the subproject.

Yes, if you want to build the site directly into the target that shouldn’t be a problem.

Hopefully the information I’ve provided about how the git-based site support with .asf.yaml files will be helpful. I had to spend quite a bit of time figuring all this out on my own as the documents I linked to are even less clear than the Logging confluence page.

Ralph

Re: Redesign of Commons website generation (was: CMS Deprecated. Removal of configs and move to new publishing area)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Logging has 10 subprojects, but Commons has over 100 components if you
include dormant and sandbox.

So it will be a major effort to convert all of these.

Can the component sites be converted individually?

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.