Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dave Stevens <ge...@uniserve.com> on 2015/03/19 04:57:27 UTC

[users@httpd] one apache virtual domain won't start

I have a Ubuntu 14.04 box with 8 domains. At first they all worked but
yesterday one stopped serving pages, browser says "-- Server not
found" the config looks ok, domain-specific configs are in
sites-enabled, there are access errors, all of the type, "file not
found"

I don't know where to look with this. Suggestions? No problems with
the others.

Dave

"As long as politics is the shadow cast on society by big business,
the attenuation of the shadow will not change the substance."

-- John Dewey

Re: [users@httpd] one apache virtual domain won't start

Posted by Pete Houston <ph...@openstrike.co.uk>.
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 08:57:27PM -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have a Ubuntu 14.04 box with 8 domains. At first they all worked
> but yesterday one stopped serving pages, browser says "-- Server not
> found" the config looks ok, domain-specific configs are in
> sites-enabled, there are access errors, all of the type, "file not
> found"
>
> I don't know where to look with this. Suggestions? No problems with
> the others.

The error "Server not found" while a little vague suggests that it may
be a DNS problem and therefore unrelated to your apache installation.

To confirm or deny this you could use a tool such as curl from the
command line which will give a clearer, more precise error message than
your browser. eg:

	$ curl http://bazzzzzzz.example.com/
	curl: (6) Could not resolve host: bazzzzzzz.example.com; Name or
	service not known

HTH,

Pete
http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036 / 07092 020107