Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/12 20:09:45 UTC

OpenTracing Zipkin

Hey guys I am having a hard time to setup TomEE with OpenTracing 1.0.2 +
Zipkin.

When I send the payload to the zipkin API http://localhost:9411/api/v2/spans,
I keep getting back:
400 - "Expected a JSON_V2 encoded list, but received: JSON_V1"

My payload is:
[
  {
    "annotations": [
      {
        "timestamp": 1555097175276000,
        "value": "sr"
      },
      {
        "timestamp": 1555097175402000,
        "value": "ss"
      }
    ],
    "binaryAnnotations": [
      {
        "key": "http.status_code",
        "type": 3,
        "value": 200
      },
      {
        "key": "component",
        "type": 6,
        "value": "jaxrs"
      },
      {
        "key": "span.kind",
        "type": 6,
        "value": "server"
      },
      {
        "key": "http.url",
        "type": 6,
        "value": "http://localhost:8081/number-api/numbers/generate"
      },
      {
        "key": "http.method",
        "type": 6,
        "value": "GET"
      }
    ],
    "duration": 126000,
    "id": 2,
    "kind": "SERVER",
    "localEndpoint": {
      "ipv4": "127.0.0.1",
      "port": 8081,
      "serviceName": "number-api"
    },
    "name":
"GET:com.microprofile.samples.services.number.resource.NumberResource.generate",
    "parentId": 1,
    "tags": {
      "http.status_code": "200",
      "component": "jaxrs",
      "http.url": "http://localhost:8081/number-api/numbers/generate",
      "http.method": "GET"
    },
    "timestamp": 1555097175276000,
    "traceId": 24
  }
]

Any ideas how to fix this?  Anyone was able to configure zipkin as a
collector using TomEE?

Re: OpenTracing Zipkin

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Here's where zipkin drops this:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin/blob/2.12.9/zipkin-server/src/main/java/zipkin2/server/internal/ZipkinHttpCollector.java#L191-L202
-
this check isn't included in ZipkinRule:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin/blob/2.12.9/zipkin-junit/src/main/java/zipkin2/junit/ZipkinRule.java

Jon

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 1:27 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
jonathan.gallimore@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chasing this one down. Stripping out the binary annotations from the
> payload to Zipkin looks like it works. I did wire up a test with a
> ZipkinRule which creates an in-memory instance of Zipkin for the test with
> a mock web server. That works, but the exact same payload sent to the
> Zipkin server fails, so I'm digging into that some more.
>
> Jon
>
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2019, 14:53 Jonathan Gallimore, <
> jonathan.gallimore@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Ivan! Applying that now.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 2:45 PM Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jon, config was the one below. But couldn't make it work. Also
>>> changing
>>> collector for http://localhost:9411/api/v1/spans does not work as well.
>>>
>>> geronimo.opentracing.span.converter.zipkin.sender=http
>>> geronimo.opentracing.span.converter.zipkin.http.collector=
>>> http://localhost:9411/api/v2/spans
>>> geronimo.opentracing.span.converter.zipkin.http.bulkSendInterval=6000
>>> geronimo.opentracing.span.converter.zipkin.http.maxSpansPerBulk=1
>>> geronimo.opentracing.span.converter.zipkin.http.maxSpansIteration=1

Re: OpenTracing Zipkin

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: OpenTracing Zipkin

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.