Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Gautam <ga...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/15 21:59:56 UTC

Vanilla Spark Readers on Iceberg written data..

Hello There,
                    I am currently doing some testing with Vanilla Spark
Readers'  ability to read Iceberg generated data. This is both from an
Iceberg/Parquet Reader interoperability and Spark version backward
compatibility standpoint (e.g. Spark distributions running v2.3.x  which
doesn't support Iceberg DataSource vs. those running 2.4.x) .

To be clear I am talking about doing the following on data written by
Iceberg :

spark.read.format("parquet").load($icebergBasePath + "/data")

Can I safely assume this will continue to work? If not then what could be
the reasons and associated risks?

This would be good to know coz these things often come up in migration path
discussions and evaluating costs associated with generating and keeping two
copies of the same data.

thanks,
- Gautam.

Re: Vanilla Spark Readers on Iceberg written data..

Posted by Gautam <ga...@gmail.com>.
RD,
          Trying to figure  if there are regressions expected between
reader and data. Bypassing metadata is easy for us coz data is in separate
directory. ETL pipeline can point the reader config to the correct
location.

Posted by RD <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gautam <ga...@gmail.com>.