Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Paul Collins <ra...@southernphone.com.au> on 2013/05/10 02:15:51 UTC

An Open Office 'newbie' with a question.

Hello All,

This OpenOffice online community is truly wonderful and quite unique in my experience of software support to date.  I've only received OpenOffice emails in pursuit of problem resolution so far but the self-evident camaraderie is most heartening.  If only such a forum existed for Mac users with Mac OS X / software problems...

I'm currently chronicling my 12 years search for my biological father's and my mother's birth identity.  I'm using the "Word" component to detail the saga for my daughter's future use by herself or any of her three beautiful children.  The sheer volume of material could make her reading of the end 'tome' somewhat onerous.  Making the material easier to read, and hence, allowing the reader to more easily follow the developing family 'discoveries' would probably help any future reader/researcher.  Accordingly,

my question to the group is "How do I set the LINE spacing to more than single - e.g. one and a half, two line spacing etc."?

For other purposes (e.g. cost comparisons or User ID / password combinations), I find the "Excel" component very useful.  The balance of programs within the suite I have never experienced.

Incidently, before I discovered "Apache Open Office", I installed a similar suite of public domain (?) software/shareware called "Neo Office".  After more than a year had passed since download/installation, my approach for help was met by being informed that I had to have 'donated' a $10 minimum within the previous twelve months.  This I thought was very reasonable and I attempted to do without success due to their site's payment complexity.

Some months ago, being so impressed with Apache Open Office, I attempted to see if I could contribute some token sum to shown my appreciation for your fantastic work.  Whilst I couldn't readily find such a "contributions" page, it did lead me to joining this unique users forum.  Again you should feel proud of your efforts.

Awaiting any possible assistance, I am

Yours sincerely,

Paul Collins.

P. S.  As a non American, I am fascinated with the inclusion of "Apache" in the software suite's title.  Does hold any particular connotations?

Re: An Open Office 'newbie' with a question.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Paul Collins
<ra...@southernphone.com.au> wrote:
> Dear Andrea,
>
> Thank you for your early response to my (e)missive.  I went to the donations page link and I again encountered the seemingly mindless ineptitude of the PayPal monolith.  I cannot login using my email / password combination (which I faithfully recorded in my "Apache Open Office Calc spreadsheet) NOR can I donate as a new (casual?) PayPal user.

I just tried, logging in via my PayPal account and had no problems logging in.

Are you setting up a PayPal account for the first time?  If so you
might need to confirm an email or something before the account is
ready.  I think they also take some time to verify the bank account or
credit card it is associated with.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Paul Collins <ra...@southernphone.com.au>.
Dear Andrea,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:15 10/05/2013 +1000, Paul Collins wrote:
>If only such a forum existed for Mac users with Mac OS X / software
>problems...

I suspect there are lots.

>I'm using the "Word" component ...

There aint no such beast.  OpenOffice has a word processor called
Writer: is that what you mean?

>my question to the group is "How do I set the LINE spacing to more
>than single - e.g. one and a half, two line spacing etc."?

Line spacing is a paragraph property as well as a paragraph style
property.  Right-click in the paragraph and select Paragraph... or
Edit Paragraph Style... as appropriate.  On the Indents & Spacing tab
you can select line spacing as required.  Note that your "one and a
half" and "two" betray typewriter thinking; as you will see from the
options available, word processors are much more flexible.

Alternatively, you can right-click and select Line Spacing >
directly.  This modifies the paragraph property, not the paragraph
style property.

Er, "line spacing" is an entry in the help text in my copy; is it
missing from yours?

>... I find the "Excel" component very useful.

Another non-existent beast.  OpenOffice's spreadsheet component is called Calc.

>P. S.  As a non American, I am fascinated with the inclusion of
>"Apache" in the software suite's title.  Does hold any particular connotations?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Software_Foundation#History .

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker