Posted to repository@apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/15 07:58:22 UTC

Repository documentation

As it's been asked for a couple of times, I've started a repository
FAQ (should appear in a bit when it syncs over)

http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html

How much did I get wrong? :)

Hen

Re: Repository documentation

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 8/16/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/06, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> > i'd add
> >
> > Do I need to deploy to both m1/m2 repositories?
> >
> > No, if you build with m2 deploy to the m2, if you build with m1/other
> > system deploy to the m1. As they are synced to ibiblio the central
> > repository will make both available for m1 AND m2 users
>
> Good question. What's the answer for the snapshot repository?

snapshots need to be in both

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.

Re: Repository documentation

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
i'd add

Re: new stuff in maven-repository

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:59:34 -0700
> From: Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: new stuff in maven-repository
>
> On 8/28/06, Henk P. Penning <he...@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
>
> >   I only look at 'dist/' ; and only at md5 and pgp 'rules'.
>
> Would it be possible to get the ibiblio-rsync repositories added to
> the scripts?  (Is there a reason you're not tracking them, or did they
> just fall out when they moved under 'people.apache.org/repo' ?)
>
> I feel better about releases knowing I'll get that email if anything is wrong.

Wendy,

  I was glad to see the repo's removed from '/dist/'. Compared to
  the rest of '/dist/' the repo's were messy ; riddled with old
  and unsigned stuff, etc.

  In the past few years, I have sent hundreds and hundreds of nag mails,
  urging people of fix things ; progress was slow.

  To get things fixed in more fundamental ways (fix software, tighten
  goals, allocate responsibility) proved a very, very slow process,
  with an endless repetion of discussions, ideas, expression of good
  intentions, etc. As far as I can tell, maven2 fixed none of the
  consistency or completeness problems, that cause the repo's to
  be below apache standards.

  I'm not enough 'into' maven and other repo-tools, or the mindset
  of repo release managers, to make any suggestions for improvement.

> Wendy

  Regards,

  Henk Penning

----------------------------------------------------------------   _
Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~henkp/                   M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/

Re: new stuff in maven-repository

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:56:51 -0700
> From: Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Cc: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>, akarasulu@apache.org,
>      jvanzyl@apache.org
> Subject: Re: new stuff in maven-repository
> Sender: carlossg@gmail.com
>
> can you provide a list of stuff not following conventions ?

  I only look at 'dist/' ; and only at md5 and pgp 'rules'.

  HPP

----------------------------------------------------------------   _

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Henk P. Penning wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:19:47 -0400
>> From: Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>
>> To: repository@apache.org
>> Subject: Re: new stuff in maven-repository
>>
>> Henk P. Penning wrote:

>> Henk can you let me know what exactly is unsigned.  I will take care of
>> it right away.
>
> Alex,
>
>   you published stuff in '/dist/maven-repository/' ; nothing should
>   be published there anymore. I moved it away to
>
>     people.apache.org:/home/henkp/MAVEN-REPO-ORG/
>
>   It will be there for a few more days.

Thanks Henk.  I've grabbed it but think it was triggered accidentally by
a maven build I configured improperly.

Alex

Re: new stuff in maven-repository

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:19:47 -0400
> From: Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: new stuff in maven-repository
>
> Henk P. Penning wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Henk P. Penning wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:47:36 +0200 (MEST)
> >> From: Henk P. Penning <he...@cs.uu.nl>
> >> To: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> >> Cc: akarasulu@apache.org, jvanzyl@apache.org, repository@apache.org
> >> Subject: new stuff in maven-repository
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>   I noticed that, in the last month, 'jvanzyl' and 'akarasulu'
> >>   have added :-(unsigned) stuff to 'dist/maven-repository'.
> >>

> Henk can you let me know what exactly is unsigned.  I will take care of
> it right away.

Alex,

  you published stuff in '/dist/maven-repository/' ; nothing should
  be published there anymore. I moved it away to

    people.apache.org:/home/henkp/MAVEN-REPO-ORG/

  It will be there for a few more days.

> Alex

  HPP

----------------------------------------------------------------   _

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Henk P. Penning wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Henk P. Penning wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:47:36 +0200 (MEST)
>> From: Henk P. Penning <he...@cs.uu.nl>
>> To: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
>> Cc: akarasulu@apache.org, jvanzyl@apache.org, repository@apache.org
>> Subject: new stuff in maven-repository
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I noticed that, in the last month, 'jvanzyl' and 'akarasulu'
>>   have added :-(unsigned) stuff to 'dist/maven-repository'.

Henk can you let me know what exactly is unsigned.  I will take care of
it right away.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: new stuff in maven-repository

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.
On 28/08/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:

> I'm curious to know how you have scripts during deployment that do
> signing of artifacts. The only way I know of to sign an artifact is
> to use a gpg command that requires typing my password. Is this able
> to be automated?

BouncyCastle has the APIs to do GPG signing, I believe.

Re: new stuff in maven-repository

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
The problem is that I'm not sure that everyone have the environment needed
to sign the artifacts locally (Personally I didn't have it on windows some
months ago).
It's why I published this script to do it on ASF hardware. I didn't see this
policy restriction.
I have to change it ASAP.

Arnaud

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Any idea when this will become reality?

In the mean time I wrote a simple goal to sign attached artifacts
with gpg:

     http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/genesis/trunk/plugins/
tools-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/genesis/plugins/
tools/GpgSignAttachedMojo.java?view=log

Docs should be up here shortly:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/genesis/plugins/tools-maven-
plugin/usage.html

Only roughly tested... but so far works okay.

--jason

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 8/28/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious to know how you have scripts during deployment that do
>> signing of artifacts. The only way I know of to sign an artifact is
>> to use a gpg command that requires typing my password. Is this able
>> to be automated?
>
> Also curious. :)
>
> Trustin Lee once posted a nice shell script on his blog.  It prompts
> for the pass phrase once, then signs everything in a directory tree.
> That, modified a bit to only find .jar and .pom files, is what I used
> on Struts 1.3.5 which had 20+ artifacts.

I use that and am totally perplexed by what escaped on this last deployment.

Alex

Re: new stuff in maven-repository

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jason,

On Aug 28, 2006, at 4:37 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 28 Aug 06, at 3:25 AM 28 Aug 06, Henk P. Penning wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Henk P. Penning wrote:
>>
>>   .. no fix from either 'jvanzyl' or 'akarasulu' ; today 'jvanzyl'
>>   again installed stuff in 'dist/maven-repository' ; I moved it away
>>   and closed directory 'dist/maven-repository' a bit more.
>>

> Crap, sorry. I will fix the scripts for deploying. If it's not
> embedded in a plugin I forget, I expect the computer to do it. I'll
> fix up now.

I'm curious to know how you have scripts during deployment that do
signing of artifacts. The only way I know of to sign an artifact is
to use a gpg command that requires typing my password. Is this able
to be automated?

Thanks,

Craig

> Jason.
>
>>>   HPP
>>
>>   HPP
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------   _
>> Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232
>> _/ \_
>> Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 /
>> \_/ \
>> Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791
>> \_/ \_/
>> http://www.cs.uu.nl/~henkp/                   M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/
>>

> Jason van Zyl
> jason@maven.org

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: new stuff in maven-repository

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Henk P. Penning wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:47:36 +0200 (MEST)
> From: Henk P. Penning <he...@cs.uu.nl>
> To: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> Cc: akarasulu@apache.org, jvanzyl@apache.org, repository@apache.org
> Subject: new stuff in maven-repository
>
> Hi,
>
>   I noticed that, in the last month, 'jvanzyl' and 'akarasulu'
>   have added :-(unsigned) stuff to 'dist/maven-repository'.
>
>   This shouldn't happen, right ?
>
>   Can we move this stuff to the proper place and set permissions
>   so it can't happen again ?

  .. no fix from either 'jvanzyl' or 'akarasulu' ; today 'jvanzyl'
  again installed stuff in 'dist/maven-repository' ; I moved it away
  and closed directory 'dist/maven-repository' a bit more.

>   HPP

  HPP