Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl> on 2019/02/18 10:50:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upgrade to Jackson 2.x and remove the shading

Hi all,

Recently I've opened a PR to move from Jackson 1.x to Jackson 2.9
<https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pull/616>. I've also removed the
shading project since most libraries are up to date with Jackson 2.x. Gabor
suggested having a discussion on the mailing list to discuss the removal of
the shading of Jackson.

Spark 2.x is at 2.6, Spark 3.0 at 2.9.6, Hadoop at 2.9.x, Flink at 2.7.9,
but that one is shaded anyway :-) One problem might be Apache Avro which is
still using Jackson 1.x (codehause), until we release Avro 1.9.

What are the thoughts on this subject, should we still shade Jackson, or
not?

Cheers, Fokko

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrade to Jackson 2.x and remove the shading

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Thanks all for the feedback. I've updated the PR to shade Jackson 2.x as
well based on the feedback of the thread. Personally, I haven't had that
much issues with the latest versions of Jackson, but let us stay on the
safe side.

Jackson is still being used in:
- parquet-cli
- parquet-hadoop
- parquet-pig
- parquet-thrift
- parquet-tools

I've removed it from parquet-scrooge since it was included in the pom, but
wasn't used in the code.

Cheers, Fokko

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrade to Jackson 2.x and remove the shading

Posted by XU Qinghui <qi...@polytechnique.edu>.
Hi, Ryan

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
Qinghui,

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrade to Jackson 2.x and remove the shading

Posted by XU Qinghui <qi...@polytechnique.edu>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrade to Jackson 2.x and remove the shading

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.