Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/02 11:26:14 UTC

Max Parallel task executors

Hi Team,

I've a cloudera cluster of 4 nodes. Whenever i submit a job my only 31
parallel tasks are executed whereas my machines have more CPU available but
still YARN/AM does not create more task.

Is there any configuration which I can change to start more MAP/REDUCER
task in parallel?

Each machine in my cluster has 24 CPUs.

Regards,
Sandeep

RE: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.
I'm glad to hear it helped.

Thanks & Regards

 Brahma Reddy Battula

________________________________

RE: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.
I'm glad to hear it helped.

Thanks & Regards

 Brahma Reddy Battula

________________________________

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.
I'm glad to hear it helped.

Thanks & Regards

 Brahma Reddy Battula

________________________________

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.
I'm glad to hear it helped.

Thanks & Regards

 Brahma Reddy Battula

________________________________

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com>.
Can you please copy paste the cluster metrics from RM dashboard.
Its under http://rmhost:port/cluster/cluster

In this page, check under Memory Total vs Memory Used and VCores Total vs
VCores Used

On 6 November 2015 at 18:21, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI Laxman,
>
> Thanks for your response. I had already configured a very high value for yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
> e.g. 40 but still its not increasing more number of parallel tasks to
> execute but if this value is reduced then it runs less number of parallel
> tasks.
>
> As of now yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb is configured to 16 GB and yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
> configured to 40.
>
> Still its not spawning more tasks than 31.
>
> Let me know if more information is required to debug it. I believe there
> is upper limit after which yarn stops spawning tasks. I may be wrong here.
>

> Regards,
> Sandeep
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sandeep,
>>
>> Please configure the following items to the cores and memory per node you
>> wanted to allocate for Yarn containers.
>> Their defaults are 8 cores and 8GB. So that's the reason you were stuck
>> at 31 (4nodes * 8cores - 1 AppMaster)
>>

>> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml
>> yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
>> yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb
>>

>> On 6 November 2015 at 17:59, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> May be to naive to ask but How do I check that?
>>> Sometimes there are almost 200 map tasks pending to run but at a time
>>> only 31 runs.

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Laxman

Laxman

Re: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com>.
Can you please copy paste the cluster metrics from RM dashboard.
Its under http://rmhost:port/cluster/cluster

In this page, check under Memory Total vs Memory Used and VCores Total vs
VCores Used

On 6 November 2015 at 18:21, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI Laxman,
>
> Thanks for your response. I had already configured a very high value for yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
> e.g. 40 but still its not increasing more number of parallel tasks to
> execute but if this value is reduced then it runs less number of parallel
> tasks.
>
> As of now yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb is configured to 16 GB and yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
> configured to 40.
>
> Still its not spawning more tasks than 31.
>
> Let me know if more information is required to debug it. I believe there
> is upper limit after which yarn stops spawning tasks. I may be wrong here.
>

> Regards,
> Sandeep
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sandeep,
>>
>> Please configure the following items to the cores and memory per node you
>> wanted to allocate for Yarn containers.
>> Their defaults are 8 cores and 8GB. So that's the reason you were stuck
>> at 31 (4nodes * 8cores - 1 AppMaster)
>>

>> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml
>> yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
>> yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb
>>

>> On 6 November 2015 at 17:59, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> May be to naive to ask but How do I check that?
>>> Sometimes there are almost 200 map tasks pending to run but at a time
>>> only 31 runs.

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Laxman

Laxman

Re: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com>.
Can you please copy paste the cluster metrics from RM dashboard.
Its under http://rmhost:port/cluster/cluster

In this page, check under Memory Total vs Memory Used and VCores Total vs
VCores Used

On 6 November 2015 at 18:21, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI Laxman,
>
> Thanks for your response. I had already configured a very high value for yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
> e.g. 40 but still its not increasing more number of parallel tasks to
> execute but if this value is reduced then it runs less number of parallel
> tasks.
>
> As of now yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb is configured to 16 GB and yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
> configured to 40.
>
> Still its not spawning more tasks than 31.
>
> Let me know if more information is required to debug it. I believe there
> is upper limit after which yarn stops spawning tasks. I may be wrong here.
>

> Regards,
> Sandeep
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sandeep,
>>
>> Please configure the following items to the cores and memory per node you
>> wanted to allocate for Yarn containers.
>> Their defaults are 8 cores and 8GB. So that's the reason you were stuck
>> at 31 (4nodes * 8cores - 1 AppMaster)
>>

>> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml
>> yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
>> yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb
>>

>> On 6 November 2015 at 17:59, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> May be to naive to ask but How do I check that?
>>> Sometimes there are almost 200 map tasks pending to run but at a time
>>> only 31 runs.

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Laxman

Laxman

Re: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com>.
Can you please copy paste the cluster metrics from RM dashboard.
Its under http://rmhost:port/cluster/cluster

In this page, check under Memory Total vs Memory Used and VCores Total vs
VCores Used

On 6 November 2015 at 18:21, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI Laxman,
>
> Thanks for your response. I had already configured a very high value for yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
> e.g. 40 but still its not increasing more number of parallel tasks to
> execute but if this value is reduced then it runs less number of parallel
> tasks.
>
> As of now yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb is configured to 16 GB and yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
> configured to 40.
>
> Still its not spawning more tasks than 31.
>
> Let me know if more information is required to debug it. I believe there
> is upper limit after which yarn stops spawning tasks. I may be wrong here.
>

> Regards,
> Sandeep
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sandeep,
>>
>> Please configure the following items to the cores and memory per node you
>> wanted to allocate for Yarn containers.
>> Their defaults are 8 cores and 8GB. So that's the reason you were stuck
>> at 31 (4nodes * 8cores - 1 AppMaster)
>>

>> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml
>> yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
>> yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb
>>

>> On 6 November 2015 at 17:59, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> May be to naive to ask but How do I check that?
>>> Sometimes there are almost 200 map tasks pending to run but at a time
>>> only 31 runs.

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Laxman

Laxman

Re: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.
HI Laxman,

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.
HI Laxman,

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.
HI Laxman,

Posted by sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com>.
HI Laxman,

Posted by Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandeep,

Please configure the following items to the cores and memory per node you
wanted to allocate for Yarn containers.
Their defaults are 8 cores and 8GB. So that's the reason you were stuck at
31 (4nodes * 8cores - 1 AppMaster)

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml
yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb

On 6 November 2015 at 17:59, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> May be to naive to ask but How do I check that?
> Sometimes there are almost 200 map tasks pending to run but at a time only
> 31 runs.
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Also check that you have more than 31 blocks to process.
>> On Nov 6, 2015 6:54 AM, "sandeep das" <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Varun,
>>>
>>> I tried to increase this parameter but it did not increase number of
>>> parallel tasks but if It is decreased then YARN reduces number of parallel
>>> tasks. I'm bit puzzled why its not increasing more than 31 tasks even after
>>> its value is increased.
>>>
>>> Is there any other configuration as well which controls on how many
>>> maximum tasks can execute in parallel?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sandeep

Laxman

Re: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandeep,

Please configure the following items to the cores and memory per node you
wanted to allocate for Yarn containers.
Their defaults are 8 cores and 8GB. So that's the reason you were stuck at
31 (4nodes * 8cores - 1 AppMaster)

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml
yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb

On 6 November 2015 at 17:59, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> May be to naive to ask but How do I check that?
> Sometimes there are almost 200 map tasks pending to run but at a time only
> 31 runs.
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Also check that you have more than 31 blocks to process.
>> On Nov 6, 2015 6:54 AM, "sandeep das" <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Varun,
>>>
>>> I tried to increase this parameter but it did not increase number of
>>> parallel tasks but if It is decreased then YARN reduces number of parallel
>>> tasks. I'm bit puzzled why its not increasing more than 31 tasks even after
>>> its value is increased.
>>>
>>> Is there any other configuration as well which controls on how many
>>> maximum tasks can execute in parallel?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sandeep

Laxman

Re: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandeep,

Please configure the following items to the cores and memory per node you
wanted to allocate for Yarn containers.
Their defaults are 8 cores and 8GB. So that's the reason you were stuck at
31 (4nodes * 8cores - 1 AppMaster)

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml
yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb

On 6 November 2015 at 17:59, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> May be to naive to ask but How do I check that?
> Sometimes there are almost 200 map tasks pending to run but at a time only
> 31 runs.
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Also check that you have more than 31 blocks to process.
>> On Nov 6, 2015 6:54 AM, "sandeep das" <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Varun,
>>>
>>> I tried to increase this parameter but it did not increase number of
>>> parallel tasks but if It is decreased then YARN reduces number of parallel
>>> tasks. I'm bit puzzled why its not increasing more than 31 tasks even after
>>> its value is increased.
>>>
>>> Is there any other configuration as well which controls on how many
>>> maximum tasks can execute in parallel?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sandeep

Laxman

Re: Max Parallel task executors

Posted by Laxman Ch <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandeep,

Please configure the following items to the cores and memory per node you
wanted to allocate for Yarn containers.
Their defaults are 8 cores and 8GB. So that's the reason you were stuck at
31 (4nodes * 8cores - 1 AppMaster)

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml
yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores
yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb

On 6 November 2015 at 17:59, sandeep das <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> May be to naive to ask but How do I check that?
> Sometimes there are almost 200 map tasks pending to run but at a time only
> 31 runs.
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Also check that you have more than 31 blocks to process.
>> On Nov 6, 2015 6:54 AM, "sandeep das" <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Varun,
>>>
>>> I tried to increase this parameter but it did not increase number of
>>> parallel tasks but if It is decreased then YARN reduces number of parallel
>>> tasks. I'm bit puzzled why its not increasing more than 31 tasks even after
>>> its value is increased.
>>>
>>> Is there any other configuration as well which controls on how many
>>> maximum tasks can execute in parallel?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sandeep

Laxman