Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Blake Matheny <bm...@tumblr.com> on 2012/01/13 15:08:01 UTC

max.message.size and fetch.size

The default max.message.size for a producer is ~976kB. The default
fetch.size for a consumer is 300kB. Do these defaults make sense? The
FAQ references the InvalidMessageSizeException (which I've seen), so
clearly people run into this somewhat regularly. Why aren't the
defaults for these variables the same for both the producer and the
consumer? Just curious what the motivation is for having the defaults
be set this way.

Thanks!

-Blake

--