Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/18 11:41:23 UTC

Backup Repos on WIndows

I'm just setting up subversion on a Windows box and plan to have a
backup of the repos on another disk.  I have looked at the docs on
mirroring, replication, etc., but wonder if I can use the Windows XP
Backup utility.

I want to do something like this:

  initial backup repos to repos.bkf
  incremental backup tp repos.bkf
  incremental backup to repos.bkf

Will that work?

If so, can I recover the full repos in one step?

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: Backup Repos on WIndows

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 18, 2008 11:59 AM, Shawn Talbert <st...@exploreconsulting.com> wrote:
> I'll throw our scheme into the mix as well.
>
> We have an automated process that:
>
> *Does a hotcopy of the repo daily, generating a unique backup to a different
> physical drive named after the date of the backup.
>
> *backs up the hotcopy to an encrypted external drive that is taken off-site.

Thanks, Shawn.

-Tom

RE: Backup Repos on WIndows

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 18, 2008 7:16 AM, Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
<Da...@thehartford.com> wrote:
> I have a very basic backup process on our box until we get an official
> server and support.  It might work for you.  I have a scheduled task
> that shuts down the svnserve, defragments the disk, and dumps the
> repository to a volume that is backed up nightly.  I set it up to create
> dumpfile names based on the date so I can go back to earlier backups if
> necessary.
>
> I don't see any reason you can't use a regular backup utility on the
> repository if you use FSFS.  If you use BDB, shut down the server before
> backup begins.

Thank you, David.

-Tom

RE: Backup Repos on WIndows

Posted by "Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com>.

--
David

destroy all copies.

Re: Backup Repos on WIndows

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
2008/1/18 Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>:
> Don't want to beat my own drum, but this ( http://svn.spears.at/ ) howto
> gives you a VBScript that creates incremental dumps of specified
> repository. You can then backup the folder containing these dumps. To load
> the dumps in one go will take a small exercise in (insert your favourite)
> shell scripting.

Thanks very much, Miha.

-Tom

Re: Backup Repos on WIndows

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
"Tom Browder" <to...@gmail.com> wrote on 18.01.2008 12:41:23:

> I'm just setting up subversion on a Windows box and plan to have a
> backup of the repos on another disk.  I have looked at the docs on
> mirroring, replication, etc., but wonder if I can use the Windows XP
> Backup utility.
>
> I want to do something like this:
>
>   initial backup repos to repos.bkf
>   incremental backup tp repos.bkf
>   incremental backup to repos.bkf
>
> Will that work?
>
> If so, can I recover the full repos in one step?

Don't want to beat my own drum, but this ( http://svn.spears.at/ ) howto
gives you a VBScript that creates incremental dumps of specified
repository. You can then backup the folder containing these dumps. To load
the dumps in one go will take a small exercise in (insert your favourite)
shell scripting.

Br,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si