Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com> on 2004/07/08 22:22:00 UTC

greylisting whitelist

First, thanks for all the information regarding greylisting.  You have
helped a tremendous amount.

I have implemented milter-greylist on my test system.  It appears to
work as advertised.

The only issue that I ran into was the ownership on the
/var/milter-greylist directory.  During install ownership was set to
root and it needed to be set to smmsp.  Easily found and fixed.

I do have a question regarding the pre-populated whitelist entries in
the greylist.conf file.  There were a number of addresses listed for
sites which had servers that had problems handling the temporary
refusal.  I checked a number of them against current MX records in DNS
and found only a few of them seem to be valid.

Does anyone know if these entries are stale or if they are still valid?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

Albrecht's Law:
	Social innovations tend to the level of minimum tolerable well-being.

Re: greylisting whitelist

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 04:55 PM 7/8/2004, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>How can someone determine the validity of this list then?
>
>I would assume that from time to time the outbound email servers
>would change IP addresses.

you could check SPF records, but if the domain in question doesn't publish
SPF records you are entirely out-of-luck in predicting their outbound MTA's.

Re: greylisting whitelist

Posted by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>.
On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 16:40, Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 04:22 PM 7/8/2004, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> >I do have a question regarding the pre-populated whitelist entries in
> >the greylist.conf file.  There were a number of addresses listed for
> >sites which had servers that had problems handling the temporary
> >refusal.  I checked a number of them against current MX records in DNS
> >and found only a few of them seem to be valid.
>
> Why would they match the MX records??
>
> MX records list INBOUND mailservers, which don't have to be the same as
> your outbound ones.
>
> For high-volume organizations (which most of the greylist entries are) they
> are almost certainly not going to be the same for load distribution reasons.

I understand now.  I should have thought of that.

How can someone determine the validity of this list then?

I would assume that from time to time the outbound email servers
would change IP addresses.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

As President I have to go vacuum my coin collection!

Re: greylisting whitelist

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.