Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be> on 2008/03/20 11:59:45 UTC

Including serf 0.2 in svn 1.5 RC's

It looks like we will not be able to release serf 0.2 in the next coming
weeks. The code itself is ready, this is mainly an
availability-of-people issue. We hope to get it released at ApacheCon
(april 9th - 11th).

Now, what has this to do with Subversion? Serf 0.2 will include a whole
list of fixes and features that are needed to get ra_serf closer to
ra_neon in terms of functionality and stability. There's at least NTLM,
proxy server, progress feedback and SSL server certificate validation
that ra_serf will support with serf 0.2.

Wile subversion 1.5 beta contains most of the above (except ssl server
certificates), the code is only built when using serf trunk.

So, this leads me to the question: if we release serf 0.2 somewhere mid
april, when subversion 1.5 RC1 is probably already tagged, are there any
objections to start supporting serf 0.2 in a later RC and include it in
the deps file?

Considering serf is still listed as experimental I don't think this is a
big issue, but I'd like to hear other opinions too.

Lieven

Re: Including serf 0.2 in svn 1.5 RC's

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be> wrote:
>  So, this leads me to the question: if we release serf 0.2 somewhere mid
>  april, when subversion 1.5 RC1 is probably already tagged, are there any
>  objections to start supporting serf 0.2 in a later RC and include it in
>  the deps file?
>
>  Considering serf is still listed as experimental I don't think this is a
>  big issue, but I'd like to hear other opinions too.

Ditto - I fully agree that we should drop it in when 0.2 is ready... -- justin

Re: Including serf 0.2 in svn 1.5 RC's

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be> wrote:

>  It looks like we will not be able to release serf 0.2 in the next coming
>  weeks. The code itself is ready, this is mainly an
>  availability-of-people issue. We hope to get it released at ApacheCon
>  (april 9th - 11th).
>
>  Now, what has this to do with Subversion? Serf 0.2 will include a whole
>  list of fixes and features that are needed to get ra_serf closer to
>  ra_neon in terms of functionality and stability. There's at least NTLM,
>  proxy server, progress feedback and SSL server certificate validation
>  that ra_serf will support with serf 0.2.
>
>  Wile subversion 1.5 beta contains most of the above (except ssl server
>  certificates), the code is only built when using serf trunk.
>
>  So, this leads me to the question: if we release serf 0.2 somewhere mid
>  april, when subversion 1.5 RC1 is probably already tagged, are there any
>  objections to start supporting serf 0.2 in a later RC and include it in
>  the deps file?
>
>  Considering serf is still listed as experimental I don't think this is a
>  big issue, but I'd like to hear other opinions too.

I do not see a problem with updating our dependencies in the tarball
at any point during our release process, including the RC to GA
transition.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Including serf 0.2 in svn 1.5 RC's

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be> wrote:

>  It looks like we will not be able to release serf 0.2 in the next coming
>  weeks. The code itself is ready, this is mainly an
>  availability-of-people issue. We hope to get it released at ApacheCon
>  (april 9th - 11th).

+1.

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: Including serf 0.2 in svn 1.5 RC's

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Lieven Govaerts wrote:
> So, this leads me to the question: if we release serf 0.2 somewhere mid
> april, when subversion 1.5 RC1 is probably already tagged, are there any
> objections to start supporting serf 0.2 in a later RC and include it in
> the deps file?

+1 from me.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>