Posted to builds@apache.org by Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org> on 2021/07/22 23:22:56 UTC

[Hosting] System reboots to fix Sequoia seq_file vulnerability

All,

As many of you may have heard about, there's a new major kernel
vulnerability called Sequoia [1][2] that was announced a few days ago. Due
to the nature of this, we're going to be rebooting many of our systems over
the next 24-48 hours which may impact our services. We're going to do our
best to minimize the impact, however it's also important that we get these
fixes in place.

We recommend all of our users to update their systems and reboot to a
kernel that has the fix applied ASAP if possible. If you need any
additional help, please let us know.

We'll send another email once we've completed the reboots or if we run into
a major outage that will cause an issue. You can also reach us on #osuosl
on LiberaChat if you have any urgent issues or questions.

Thanks-

[1]
https://lwn.net/ml/oss-security/20210720123335.GA19170@localhost.localdomain/
[2] https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/863729/7e2658520aaec137/

--
Lance Albertson
Director

Re: [Hosting] System reboots to fix Sequoia seq_file vulnerability

Posted by Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org>.
Update to these reboots:

We have completed around 56% of our reboots as of today. We will pause most
of the reboots over the weekend. We have finished rebooting all of the
public facing servers which had the largest potential risk. Most of the
remaining systems are not public facing and should pose a low risk until we
get to them.

We will resume the rebooting on Monday during normal business hours.

Thanks for your patience for any outages related to this!

--
Lance Albertson
Director