Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/16 00:00:13 UTC

GSoC mentee evaluation: Original ideas

Suggestion for next year, so I think dev@community is appropriate.
Perhaps some folks on code-awards@ may have input, so CC'ed that list.

I think those mentees that suggest original ideas for GSoC projects
and manage to get committers interested in mentoring those original
project ideas should be recognized with a separate evaluation question
in the mentee ranking process. While question two currently includes
"original input" it can be interpreted in various ways (original
project idea, original proposed solution etc.).

I am suggesting the following for next year and beyond:

 * Is the project definition and idea originally the mentee's, the
mentor's or a collaborative effort? (0-2 points, 2 if mentee's idea, 1
if collaborative, 0 if mentor's)

Thereby, coming up with an idea and garnering mentor interest becomes
a dimension in the mentee that gets rewarded (as it should be, IMO).

-Rahul

Re: GSoC mentee evaluation: Original ideas

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Apr 15, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 15/04/2010 23:00, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>> Suggestion for next year, so I think dev@community is appropriate.
>> Perhaps some folks on code-awards@ may have input, so CC'ed that list.
>>
>> I think those mentees that suggest original ideas for GSoC projects
>> and manage to get committers interested in mentoring those original
>> project ideas should be recognized with a separate evaluation question
>> in the mentee ranking process. While question two currently includes
>> "original input" it can be interpreted in various ways (original
>> project idea, original proposed solution etc.).
>>
>> I am suggesting the following for next year and beyond:
>>
>>  * Is the project definition and idea originally the mentee's, the
>> mentor's or a collaborative effort? (0-2 points, 2 if mentee's idea, 1
>> if collaborative, 0 if mentor's)
>>
>> Thereby, coming up with an idea and garnering mentor interest becomes
>> a dimension in the mentee that gets rewarded (as it should be, IMO).
>
> +1 - if there are no objections we'll add this after the current selection process has completed, ready for next year.

I think this is a great idea and pretty much reflects the how we do it for Mahout.  We push pretty hard for students to come w/ their own ideas.  We've gotten a lot of mileage out of this approach.

Re: GSoC mentee evaluation: Original ideas

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 15/04/2010 23:00, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> Suggestion for next year, so I think dev@community is appropriate.
> Perhaps some folks on code-awards@ may have input, so CC'ed that list.
>
> I think those mentees that suggest original ideas for GSoC projects
> and manage to get committers interested in mentoring those original
> project ideas should be recognized with a separate evaluation question
> in the mentee ranking process. While question two currently includes
> "original input" it can be interpreted in various ways (original
> project idea, original proposed solution etc.).
>
> I am suggesting the following for next year and beyond:
>
>   * Is the project definition and idea originally the mentee's, the
> mentor's or a collaborative effort? (0-2 points, 2 if mentee's idea, 1
> if collaborative, 0 if mentor's)
>
> Thereby, coming up with an idea and garnering mentor interest becomes
> a dimension in the mentee that gets rewarded (as it should be, IMO).

+1 - if there are no objections we'll add this after the current
selection process has completed, ready for next year.

Ross