Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@apache.org> on 2014/05/23 10:45:34 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Hive 0.13.1 Release Candidate 2

Apache Hive 0.13.1 Release Candidate 2 is available here:

http://people.apache.org/~khorgath/releases/0.13.1_RC2/

Maven artifacts are available here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehive-1014

Source tag for RC2 is at : https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hive/tags/release-0.13.1-rc2/

Hive PMC Members: Please test and vote.

Thanks,
-Sushanth

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
The hive-default.xml.template errors are patched in HIVE-7165
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-7165>.

-- Lefty

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Short version: SchemaTool is broken in this RC. There are workarounds
of not using SchemaTool, but it is a better way of upgrading hive, and
I think we should fix it before releasing.

Long Version:
I ran the unit test suite against the RC and found two failures in
TestSchemaTool. There are real issues. The schema initialization fails
with schema tool, with the message that "Unknown version specified for
initialization: 0.13.1".
The upgrade with schema tool works (ie it runs the upgrade scripts),
but then errors out at the end, when it finds that the version in
metastore is 0.13.0 (not 0.13.1).

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1
>

> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 (non-binding) - Built it, checked the signature and md5, and ran some
>> basic tests.
>>
>> Alan.
>>
>> On May 23, 2014, at 1:45 AM, Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> > Apache Hive 0.13.1 Release Candidate 2 is available here:
>> >
>> > http://people.apache.org/~khorgath/releases/0.13.1_RC2/
>> >
>> > Maven artifacts are available here:
>> >
>> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehive-1014
>> >
>> > Source tag for RC2 is at :
>> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hive/tags/release-0.13.1-rc2/
>> >
>> > Hive PMC Members: Please test and vote.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Sushanth
>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
> That line was picked directly from the HowToRelease wiki, however, so I would suggest that the PMC clarify the rules on that and edit it appropriately.

Edward is right that the 3 days is minimum required duration for the
vote. That does not contradict the by-law.
However, I think having an end date to a vote is important, as without
a vote end time, the meaning of 'lazy majority' is not clear. Also,
people work better with deadlines!

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.