Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Daniele Testa <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/28 12:03:05 UTC

Problems with ElasticSearch

Hi,

This might be more of a ElasticSearch question, but someone might be
able to help me anyways.

I am using CouchDB as main DB with ElasticSearch (using River CouchDB
plugin) for fulltext search.

I have a database called "apps" where I have a list of mobile applications.

I have created a filter that basically only hits documents that has
doc.type=="app"

When doing a curl:

curl http://localhost:5984/apps/_changes?filter=replication/apps

It seems to work fine, 50 apps is returned.

I have then setup ElasticSearch to use the database "apps" and the
filter "replication/apps"

But in ElasticSearch, I only get 7 "apps", not 50.

Another problem seems to be that ElasticSearch cannot handle nested
objects correctly.

eg. Many of the mobile applications have screenshots like
$doc->screenshot[0]->type = 'png'

When watching the documents in ElasticSearch, it seems like that neep
nested "type" has overridden the $doc->type and show it as "png"
instead of "app".

Does anyone have experience with any of this?

Regards,
Daniele

Re: Problems with ElasticSearch

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 03:03, Daniele Testa <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might be more of a ElasticSearch question, but someone might be
> able to help me anyways.
>
> I am using CouchDB as main DB with ElasticSearch (using River CouchDB
> plugin) for fulltext search.
>
> I have a database called "apps" where I have a list of mobile applications.
>
> I have created a filter that basically only hits documents that has
> doc.type=="app"
>
> When doing a curl:
>
> curl http://localhost:5984/apps/_changes?filter=replication/apps
>
> It seems to work fine, 50 apps is returned.
>
> I have then setup ElasticSearch to use the database "apps" and the
> filter "replication/apps"
>
> But in ElasticSearch, I only get 7 "apps", not 50.
>
> Another problem seems to be that ElasticSearch cannot handle nested
> objects correctly.
>
> eg. Many of the mobile applications have screenshots like
> $doc->screenshot[0]->type = 'png'
>
> When watching the documents in ElasticSearch, it seems like that neep
> nested "type" has overridden the $doc->type and show it as "png"
> instead of "app".
>
> Does anyone have experience with any of this?
>
> Regards,
> Daniele
>

>From my limited experience with elasticsearch I think there is a way
you can explicitly define mappings.
Usually, mappings from document properties to search fields are
implicit, but I think it's possible to override them.
You should direct your question to the elasticsearch community:
http://www.elasticsearch.org/community/forum/